1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wages Update

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Marco82, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

I forgot to say that, as usual, having run for cover over wages, our dear leaders are now beating their breasts about the issue of national testing, making warlike noises about not accepting government diktat. Well I suppose they have to have something to do to occupy their time and posturing over a piddling issue like testing is a lot easier that leading a fight over the Kind of issue unions are actually supposed to be about. I can tell you now, they go p..s up a lamppost if they think I am going to strike over that non issue when they dump on us over what counts.

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Did you see the turnout for EIS ballots over the last few years? That's enough to make for a pathetic negotiating position. COSLA and ScotGov know the membership aren't up for a fight and won't strike. SSTA accepted without even consulting the members, right enough.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Too many of us have "careers" to think of. In our profession we have a culture which accepts - welcomes - working for nothing.

What can we do to turn this round? I'm thinking that shouldn't our unions be instructing us not to do, eg, dinner duty (as effinbankers despaired of in another thread)? And all the other work we do for nothing?

If the current situation does not merit a work-to-rule diktat from the unions then what on earth does?!

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

When the pension reforms were being imposed I rallied the troops in my school to implement the SSTA work to rule....it fell apart after hours when members, who had indicated at the meeting that I held that they would all stand firm, arranged after school supported study sessions, weekend football matches and an annual school show to name but three voluntary activities.

This was after highlighting to the members that their monthly pension contributions would rise by 50%, many would have to work an extra 7 years and that most under 40s would end up contributing an extra £60,000 into their pensions.

Funnily enough those who did adhere to the work to rule were mostly older memebers of staff with no aspiration to keep in the heidie's good books and whose pension age were least affected by the changes.

5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

apparently the offer is 1.5% backdated to April - then 1% from next April. Next April your National insurance will rise by 1.4% that wipes out the 1.5%. Then with the increase in salary it will take the top of the scale teacher into the next pension band meaning they will pay 1% more in pension contribution ( 9.6% instead of 8.6%). So back to square 1????

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

A sneaky stealth tax.

Tory basterts.

7. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

It's a bit weird don't ya think that the thresholds just so happened to be less than 1% under the current top of the pay scale. Means they get an extra hike without announcing an additional hike.

This time 3 years ago we were paying 6.4%, in a couple months time it will be 9.7%

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think that would have happened regardless of the government, and regardless of whether Scotchland was independent or not.

I wrote my previous post a wee bit tongue in cheek (aren't they all?) but the more I think about it, the more I think the unions should be showing some leadership and taking a hard line with the employers wrt non-paid work.

How's about an instruction not to do any unpaid work in school? If you do any unpaid work in school then leave our union? A start?