1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

W W W W we just haven't got a clue?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jun 5, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Ahh, sad.
    And this has put me back in the chemistry lab at school, where I sat next to Janet - an ardent fan.

And I didn’t realise how young they were - they seemed to be proper grown ups - but they were all only a few years older than me

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

[QUOTE="lizziescat, post: 13157332, member: 568323] I didn’t realise how young they were - they seemed to be proper grown ups - but they were all only a few years older than me[/QUOTE]

That gave me pause for thought, when I read the article, as he was only six years older then me. Being a 'prog rocker' in the early Seventies, 'Sweet' was not my bag but their music was part of the background of the time.

moose2, ACOYEAR8 and lizziescat like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That gave me pause for thought, when I read the article, as he was only six years older then me. Being a 'prog rocker' in the early Seventies, 'Sweet' was not my bag but their music was part of the background of the time.[/QUOTE]
    Their music was varied. They started out as heavy rockers but 'sold out' (some would say) to glam/bubble rock. But their B sides and albums were still pretty heavy metal.
    This was the B side to blockbuster (I think it was blockbuster)

lizziescat and moose2 like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It was mega-uncool to rate The Sweet when I was in school but I really liked Ballroom Blitz. Poor old Brian Connolly died young of some bad reaction to alcohol, but 72's no age nowadays either. RIP.

moose2 likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ballroom Blitz was great. I always felt they dressed bubble but played a tad more rocky and yes, they did seem split between what they wanted to do and what brought in the money.

Did anyone ever solve the mystery of who ripped off who re 'Blockbuster' and Bowie's ' The Jean Genie'? Was only a kid at the time but it felt like these two songs were released within days of each other and man, they really do sound the same.

The band 'Free' (who morphed into 'Bad Company') were between the ages of 17 and 20 I believe! Incredible when you remember how brilliant they were. (Well, I thought so and even if you don't like their music it is very unlikely you don't like the voice of Paul Rodgers - he was the old un :p)

moose2, cassandramark2 and abwdSTEM like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You know when you're watching 1970s Top of the Pops as a kid, and your Dad starts insulting the musicians before Pan's People distract him - I'm pretty certain it was Steve Priest who prompted one my Dad's classic remarks:

"Is that a bloke or a bird? If he was a bird he'd be a bit of alright."

Well it was the 70s.

Ballroom Blitz - a great original track, and well covered by The Rezillos not long afterwards.

RIP Steve Priest (bloke or bird).

abwdSTEM likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ballroom Blitz was also covered in the movie Wayne's World

moose2 and magic surf bus like this.
  9. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

A fun band , The Sweet.

Not cool, but still rocking.

blazer and moose2 like this.
  10. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I loved The Sweet! I had posters of them on my wall as a young teenager.

blazer likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Me too, also Slade and TRex

friedgreentomatoes and colpee like this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I think I had all the Slade albums:rolleyes:. I thought TRex a good class above though, bridging more musical genres, glam rock being only one.

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Music for the hell of it

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Loved Slade - still think their music rocks.
    Liked Sweet.
    Didn't like T Rex.