1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

w"narratve" - an old word with strange nre meanings the I dont understand.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, May 26, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Just that, really.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Why can't thread titles be edited?

"narrative" an old word with strange new meanings that I don't understand.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I presume you mean 'narrative' as used commonly to mean 'backstory' or 'a way of understanding an event' which seems to have become more common in common parlance than I remember.

And yes not being able to edit a thread title can be embarrassing and frustrating, but presumably it works with a different system. The same is true of conversations, where one is also not able to edit.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You mean in the context "media narrative" ... how the media choose to spin a story?

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't know what the strange new meanings are - I've only ever seen it used the way you would expect.
    With that said, it can be used quite broadly. I always use the expression when writing artist statements, eg. "figurative, narrative painter". What are the new meanings? (curious)

6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

I like it. It's a useful word.
    People have their own narratives. They are often a bit wrong or twisted or simplistic.
    As lanokia said the media use it, and society in general to explain stuff....
    And it is a key tool for how we as humans understand the world and what goes on. You could tell me lots of facts and analysis and I would forget. Tell me a story and I will remember, embroider and build on it.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... the media usage is just a variation on a journalist having a ''story" for their paper... a newspaper full of facts and stats would be boring... but a story... that gets readers. The narrative spin is all important there.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Like 'optics' and 'digging down', the current vogue in vocabulary.
    But at least 'narrative' actually means what it's meant to mean.

agathamorse, nizebaby and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Narrative = spin.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I suggest the term gained a different nuance as psychology evolved, being used to describe the stories we tell ourselves from the way our experiences affect our perception of situations.

Although it's always been the case that politicians have understood the power of narrative, once psychologists were better able to describe the cognitive process, it became easier to manipulate the narrative they tell for political gain.

How politics is now being influenced, gets described by political pundits as the narrative, rather than a report of a sequence of events.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I don't think the meaning has changed so much as the use has increased so it is used in what seem to be unusual circumstances.

Likewise the word "curate", previously rather obscure and never used outside of a museum context, now rather pretentiously used to signify someone has made a list.

12. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm guessing that the kind of people who say "societal" instead of "social" are the kind of people who say "narrative" instead of "story".

smoothnewt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do it when you're sober, surely?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There is something dirty mackish about that (curious).