1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

W.A.L.T., W.I.L.F. and W.A.G.O.L.L.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by therookery, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Where did the acronyms W.A.L.T., W.I.L.F. AND W.A.G.O.L.L. (embedding formative assessment) originate?
    Was it New Zealand? does anyone know?
    It seems to be accceptable practice in many primary schools, to expect the teacher to produce this WALT information on labels for every lesson on a daily basis, and either stick them into exercise books or require the children to do this task for themselves at the start of each lesson.
    Is this what is happening nation/world wide?
    Is there a 'model' education system from which Uk is drawing down ideas?

GF

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

at the moment it seems to be based on whitehall's bureaucracy.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Along with "steps to success" for every lesson on labels.
    A lot of extra work - does it make a difference?

4. Probably the only one that will make a difference is WAGOLL.
    Children really do benefit from seeing what it is they are expected to achieve, whether by hearing stories from real authors, sharing a piece of work (when a child from another class brings in a good piece of work ) or simply the modelling that we do or resources we bring to start the lesson.
    My class can chant the LO, say what is available to help them, recite the success criteria AND tell me what they will check before they bring their work out, but previous classes who did not have all that, did just as well and in some cases better.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For the 'unitiated', like me, what is WAGOLL? I only know WALT, WILF and WINK!

6. Didn't know either so just googled it
    What a good one looks like!
    Whats a wink?
    PM

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

try AATCOE
    Acronyms are the curse of education
    I am a founder member, anyone want to join!
    advisors who come up with the damned things are specifically excluded!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto!
    WINK is What I Now Know. [​IMG]

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's all just W-A-N-K-

10. I am sure it was Shirley Clarke in her books about assessment.
    I heard her answer a question about WALT and WILF at a Carol Dweck conference last year when an OFSTED inspector asked her what she felt about the amount of time people spent on WALT and WILF, as the inspector felt teachers were spending too much time on this, and Shirley Clarke's answer was that it had never been intended to take up so much time!

11. Genius.

12. WALT and WILF were Shirley Clarke's ideas. But I've heard or read that she now regrets using them as many teachers are using them mechanically without understanding the underlying concepts of learning goals and success criteria.

13. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

They are not silly, they really do work. There is evidence that when children do not know the purpose of their learning they fail to mentally construct concepts. In sec ed teachers are often told to start a lesson with ' the purpos eof this lesson is...' or'today's objective is...' This is the same approach and is measureable by the child/student.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I imagine for older children they are a bit silly. But for KS1 they are much better than LO and SC. My class have probably never not known a WALT for a lesson. It is just second nature to share with them what they are going to learn. OK so the 'today' part isn't necessary but WALT is better than WAL.

I like using WILF with my class. Getting from them or giving them what I'm looking for in their work is important. Otherwise it is a bit like when *** observers tell you your lesson was naff but not what good would have looked like.

Never used anything else with KS1.

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

We Are Nearer Knowing? [​IMG]

16. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Write Acronyms Needlessly Kids

17. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Love it lardylegs! My sentiments exactly!

18. I think you should use whatever you can make effective. My Y2 see LO and chant LO I know... And use the SC to check their work.

19. I think you should use whatever you can make effective. My Y2 see LO and chant LO I know... And use the SC to check their work.

20. lardylegs and tafkam
    Can I just say how much I love you both! XXX
    Aren't LOs now on the way out as kids just mechanically perform to them and forget about everything else?
    My own personal LO: Can I get through the day without including nonsense OFSTED demands?