1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vulnerable register

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by muddyjudiff, Sep 18, 2019.

1. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

Hi,

I am applying for jobs as a SENCo at the moment and I came across this under 'key areas of accountability',

'Work in partnership with children and their parents to develop and strengthen their
    involvement including the preparation / management of the vulnerable register'.

Does anyone know what they mean by 'vulnerable register'? Do they mean children at risk within the school or is it a national database?

Thank

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect that it means students who according to the SEND / school policy meet certain criteria ( again policy docs are key )which alerts staff to any need which they need to accommodate in the routine /regular delivery of the curriculum. It may be aligned to your SEND record ? I would avoid the term register . Either way important I think to know what the exit / entry criteria may be to support the ‘ vulnerable ‘ learners( less experienced?perhaps ) so you demonstrate that your provision is effective and the numbers on the record are reduced ?

muddyjudiff likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

... sorry maybe above post not v clear . Think some settings have a ‘ vulnerable ‘ co hort which is additional to SEND co hort ? Again imperative that rationale for identification and placement for both key / transparent to all stakeholders. Good Luck

muddyjudiff likes this.
  4. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

Thanks - the term 'register' does sound quite formal, doesn't it? I would usually expect SLT to be examining data on specific groups of children (e.g. summer born, heritage, SEND etc.) but I wouldn't term this as a register as such?

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that many settings still use the term but we used to refer to the SEND Record. ‘Register ‘ when referring to the sensibilities of students with SEND sounds a bit institutionalised and not massively ‘inclusive ‘ ?

When you are leading and managing provision you can call the shots - it’s a great privilege ( and responsibility ) of course.