1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vulnerable adults

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Macmarie1967, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Macmarie1967

Macmarie1967 New commenter

Hi all was just wondering if there is anyone out there (im sure there is) that is staying at home because they have underlying health problems but not in the sheilding category. How has work been with you about this? Have you had any problems? Thank you

gold19951 likes this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I don't have underlying health problems but my OH has significant issues - not enough to put him into the 'isolate for 12 weeks' category, but enough that he has to be very careful. He is pension age but still working and I'm very close to that. I have not been into school at all - I'm always a reserve on the rota. I've spoken to SLT and said I'm very happy to take my turn, but they've been great all the way through and said they're happier with me at home and will let me know if they need me. Until then, I'm working from home.

I'm not entirely comfortable with it - after all, it's not me who is vulnerable and I worry that there may be others with family issues who are going in. But I'm just following instructions; these are unchartered waters for all of us and I think (hope) that most SLTS, like ours, are doing their very best for pupils and staff.

3. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

I almost agree with you. But I haven't experience in this question.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

To the OP

Yes, currently not going anywhere due to multiple health conditions but not advised to 'sheild', as I fall into the high risk rather than very high risk. (New term is now clinically vulnerable)

Advice is now to socially isolate and minimise contact with those other than in your household. Advice is to work from home (where possible), which evidently lots of vulnerable staff, including myself are doing.

Just wondering how on earth it would be achievable for vulnerable staff to return to work once schools start opening up AND continue having minimal contact with others, especially if schools are unhappy to support working from home.

I'd by lying if I said I was not a tad worried. I feel like I've already had to justify my position on a number of occasions before and during this awful mess. My worry is schools across the country will be less sympathetic towards vulnerable staff and less empathetic once the lockdown eases. After all, the worst place to be is evidently anywhere where minimal contact cannot be achieved including in a school/classroom setting. In my mind, the safest place to be is at home. That's clearly what the guidance is suggesting. I miss being in my school/class but don't want to be there currently as it seems way too risky.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    padraig, gold19951 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Other half is in the clinically vulnerable group though I have no underlying health problems. So far the Head has kept me off the rota to go into school for which I am very grateful. Will this continue if schhools reopen? Who knows. I have decided after talking to my family that I will not go back,. I had informed the school I am retiring before lockdown so I won't lose out much even if I am dismissed.

6. BoldAsBrass

You have to put yourself and your family first. Good luck and hope things work out so you can leave in a more traditional manner. I'm nowhere near retirement age myself but I would have made a similar decision i think if I had the option.

Stay safe and well everyone

tigerbright, padraig and gold19951 like this.
  7. appleton123

appleton123 New commenter

I've had a shielding letter and have not been into school for 7weeks. To begin with school were understanding but now they're putting more pressure for the teachers to get more things done at home, assessments, performance management, online courses etc! This is on top of planning and marking work on google classroom and reports etc, whilst homeschooling my own two young children. I'm stressed out with it all and can't keep up with the workload. Where do I stand with this? Thanks

gold19951 likes this.
  8. BoldAsBrass

Guidance straight from Gov.uk

Staying alert and safe (social distancing)
    Published 11 May 2020

1. Protecting different groups of people
    This guidance is for the general public who are fit and well. There is separate, specific guidance on isolation for households with a possible coronavirus infection.

Some people, including those aged 70 and over, those with specific chronic pre-existing conditions and pregnant women, are clinically vulnerable, meaning they are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus’. As we begin to ease restrictions, this group who are clinically vulnerable – see section 8 – should continue to take particular care to minimise contact with others outside their household.

There is a further group of people who are defined, also on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus – that is, people with specific serious health conditions. They are advised to continue shielding measures to keep themselves safe by staying at home and avoiding all contact with others, except for essential medical treatment or support.

2. Staying at home
    It is still very important that people stay home unless necessary to go out for specific reasons set out in law. These include:

• for work, where you cannot work from home
    • going to shops that are permitted to be open – to get things like food and medicine, and to collect goods ordered online or on the phone
    • to exercise or, from Wednesday 13 May, spend time outdoors for recreation
    • any medical need, to donate blood, avoid injury or illness, escape risk of harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

8. Clinically vulnerable people
    If you have any of the following health conditions, you are clinically vulnerable, meaning you are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You are advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if you do go out, take particular care to minimise contact with others outside your household.

Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:

• aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
    • under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (that is, anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
    • chronic (long-term) mild to moderate respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    • chronic kidney disease
    • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), or cerebral palsy
    • diabetes
    • a weakened immune system as the result of certain conditions, treatments like chemotherapy, or medicines such as steroid tablets
    • being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
    • pregnant women
    As above, there is a further category of people with serious underlying health conditions who are clinically extremely vulnerable, meaning they are at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You, your family and carers should be aware of the guidance on shielding which provides information on how to protect yourself still further should you wish to.

I think the message is pretty clear - neither clinically vulnerable or extremely clinically vulnerable staff should be going into a school setting. No matter what risk assessments are in place for CV staff , it is not possible to follow the guidelines and employers cannot 100% guarantee your safety from a 'health' viewpoint regardless of the stringent measures they will have to put on place for all staff (meaning all the ones without any medical conditions where the virus has already taken the lives people indiscriminately with absolutely no pre-existing medical conditions) They should be discussing your individual needs and you are within your rights to request that they continue to support you in working from home. If they deny this, they MUST give specific reasons for this and you can use yuor Union to mediate should you so wish.

Stay safe everyone

9. emruss

emruss New commenter

Interestingly, the clinically vulnerable list hasn't been updated despite us finding out more about coronavirus. I have a health condition that is not on the list, have been advised by my consultant that I am extremely vulnerable to complications, the British Association for my condition have updated their advice confirming people like me are in the high risk group but I am not on the official list. I now need to try and get this in writing from my consultant as currently I am expected to go in to school. I wonder how many others like me are in this position and are worried.

padraig and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Email your GP and ask them to confirm in an email then you can send it to school.