1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vulgar usernames

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

I note with dismay the use of some very vulgar usernames on here. I am referring in particular to Sid ***** and Joe *****. This is something which should not be tolerated on a teachers' forum. We are always teachers - both when in the classroom and when outside in society. Let us never accept anything which will besmirch the dignity of the calling of our profession.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So that's Ofsted, learning walks, SLT, observations, work scrutinies, forward detailed planning, feedback, e-mail monitoring, Academisation and the word 'profession' out then?

3. Johnny_Bluenote

Non sequitur if ever I saw one.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Sid's cool. Don't bother with the other one.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Vulgar usernames bother me much less than the hate-filled, racist bile that's been splattered over this forum recently. We, as teachers, have been judged on that too no doubt.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Pompous, in the extreme.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We're not all teachers. Some work in schools and colleges but don't call themselves teachers. Some have a keen interest in education but don't work in the field.

It is not, and has never claimed itself to be, a teachers' forum. There may be a general perception that it's for teachers but that has no basis in fact. However, since many do believe that the sort of posts @RedQuilt mentions have reflected badly on the profession, the forum mods have been at some pains to try to reduce or eliminate the racist bile. Not completely successfully.

Lara mfl 05 and Motherofchikkins like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Which would be a pity given that many users argue this is a forum for anyone who has an interest in education. This view, that the contributions here of those not employed in education are as salient as those who are, accounts for the rolling aggressive hegemonising troll-swarms.

9. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

And yet you disapprove of (and report) returning banned posters. Most queer.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  10. Johnny_Bluenote

No he isn't. Please do not defend anyone who resorts to such vulgarity.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You seem to strike quite a few blue notes yourself.

12. Johnny_Bluenote

Ha! Ha! Ha! Very good. Pithy and funny.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Oh dear!

14. Johnny_Bluenote

And when I say pithy I am not assuming you speak with a lisp.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Maybe we can eliminate this pressing issue by EVERYONE assuming vulgar usernames: IP Freely, Hugh G Rection, Hooty McBoob, Homer Sexual, Al Coholic; that sort of thing. If that won't work, my name's not Dee Nuttzz.

ninenotes likes this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I always liked Segovia Carpet.

17. grumpydogwoman

Les Bean - that's me.

InkyP and sabrinakat like this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think that TES needs some vulgarity.

xena-warrior likes this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

I take it Johnny doesn't remember that esteemed poster now departed?

P Soff

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think both Sid and Joe may be descended from Reg.

Reg is referenced by Rambling Syd Rumpo in The Terrible Tale of the Somerset Nog, broadcast on BBC radio's Round The Horne in the 1960s, see 3:31 below:

If the surname is good enough for 1960s BBC radio, it's respectable enough for TES.