1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VPN for China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Hello!

I will be working in South China from August, and I can't imagine living without fb, whatsapp etc.

In your experience, which companies provide the most cost effective still reliable VPN service ? And how much does it cost?

Thank you for your replies!

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Astrill VPN with Stealth and private IP address, all purchased through Astrill.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It will also protect your privacy when traveling the world where intercepting your private data,passwords,credit card numbers and emails is common place.

Many hotels, coffee shops in the world offer free internet to gain access to all your details via ”piggy in the middle” wifi tricks. A vpn is vital to protect your self from hackers. I find Thailand and Philippines particularly bad at hacking into your wifi traffic, just because it says Starbucks Wifi doesn't mean it is.

I find Epic web browser excellent at blocking trackers, cookies, fingerprints, advertising and privacy invasions.

4. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

I am doing the same and I was told a lot of the staff use Express VPN.

hoggy1 likes this.
  5. Mr Sir

Mr Sir New commenter

How about a pre flashed vpn router? Useful in China?

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You can do the router yourself is you go down the Asus and AsusMerlin route.

7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I killed an Asus Blacknight router doing the flash myself and ended up buying a pre-flashed one from Astrill. Whichever way you do it (assuming you don't wreck it an hour out of the box) it's worthwhile having a router with a VPN, particularly if you have kids.

8. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

If you haven't bought it yet, then don't. I had Express for the last 3 years. It was great in the beginning, but for the past 6-12 months it has been utter *****. They always try to fix it and then the next problem comes. Super unreliable! Astrill or Nord are the best VPNs currently.

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

...and the above post is exactly why you check on the ground with up to date information for VPNs for China.

If you’d asked me - thinking she’s got 10 years China experience - I’d have said Express. Astrill wasn’t any good for a while when I was there.

Currently is the key point to note.

mermy likes this.