1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voting Devices

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Try again..
    Are voting devices worth the money or do the lose their appeal after a few months novelty use?
    Which make are best and if you have Activ boards should you go for Activ vote??

3. Hi,

We use Senteos (now renamed Smart Response) by Smarttech. They work well but it takes time to adapt some resources. The students like using them although like everything if you used them too frequently then I guess they may loose their appeal.

Hope this helps

Argy

4. we use activeexpression and they are exellent. They also come with their ready prepared stuff as well as can be used 'off the cuff'

regards
    [​IMG]

5. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Do mini whiteboards do the trick or is it worth spending the money are voting devices with analysis software?

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have SMART boards but use the Activexpressions software and voters. I was unconvinced of their benefit over mini-white boards until they introduce the self-paced questions.
    Forcing the group to work at the same pace was a pain and they weren't as adaptable or quick to get the hang of as mini-white boards.
    Now students can sit and do mixed arithmetic questions at their own pace and get different questions from their neighbour. So far motivation levels have been high in most cases and it is easy to set up a few self-paced questions for use through the lesson or as a plenary.
    I need to use them more regularly to start seeing whether there is a benefit, and find the best way to use them. Preparing some resources is one of my jobs for the summer. I will think carefully about where to use them. Like any technical device, students are tempted to type in any answer without thinking and pressure needs to be put to bear to encourage them to do any necessary working out.
    Our technies have refused to update all of the network software which means we cannot save results which reduces the Afl usefulness.

8. We use Qwizdom, and the kids love them. I was a bit sceptical until I tried them, and they are well worth it. In terms of resources Qwizdom works through powerpoint, so you set up a powerpoint presentation using the toolbar that you get when you install the software, and then its ready to go.

Even if you dont ahve the devices you can use the powerpoint as a quick multiple choice starter.

In terms of the feedback, it generates a page for each child showing the question, their response, and the correct response. Ideal for AfL and gettin the kids to talk about why the correct answer is the correct answer.

Hope this is of some help and makes sense, my brains in summer mode!

9. Teacheri

Teacheri New commenter

Could you explain some more about these self-paced questions please? How do you do them and how do they work? Thanks.

10. Teacheri

Teacheri New commenter

...that was directed at Bombaysaphire, for some reason it didn't quote.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Self-paced questions can be set up on the Promethean handsets using the ActivExpressions software.
    Answers can require entry as numbers, text or multiple choice. The question (and multi-choice options if applicable) appear on the handset. Students then enter the answer and the next question appears.
    There are lots of options for the set up. You can enter 20 questions at each level and set it so students need, for example, 10 right before they move on to the next level. You select whether they reattempt questions they had got wrong or not. The number of questions & level is completely under your control. On screen you can see if students are getting answers right or wrong, how quickly they are going and when they move to the next level.
    To enter the questions you use a wizard to type them in. The system will generate mixed arithmetic questions for you.
    (I am no expert so apologies for any poorly explained parts in the above!)

12. Hello,

I use the active expressions with the 'race game' (Robert Powell) and kids love it

:)

13. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Ah, now that's really interesting, and if I ever work anywhere that has the budget for that sort of thing, I'll be pushing for it.
    Where I've worked, we've had Quizdom and Activote. Both are about the same, both reasonably easy to automate the powerpoints or workbooks.
    And both, as far as I can see, near impossible to provide any workable differentiation in delivery.
    Worse than mini-whiteboards as at least with those you can put more than one question on each slide and learners can attempt to self-differentiate. That doesn't work with Quizdom as you can only have one active question/answer per slide.
    (If anyone knows any good ways to differentiate with Quizdom, I'd love to hear them!)

14. The self-paced question sets on the ActivExpression handsets is not as good as it sounds!
    All the questions have to be very similar and the kids find them quite boring too!
    the ActivExpression handsets are brilliant, but need to be used sparingly.
    I made a quiz for the last day of term - it includes music and pix - the kids loved it.

15. This thread has just inspired me. I created a self-paced question set on conversion between metric units. It worked really well. It strongly highlighted the fact that one of my better students really had problems with the fact that 1m = 100cm and similar facts, despite having written them in his exercise book. He could not get past level 1 in a 10 min period.
    However, it was a morale booster for one of my weaker students who could work out, with relative ease that 0.06 kg = 60g, completing all levels with time to spare.

16. Hi, have you tried using ActiveExpression pads with Learning Clip resources. There are over 400 acitivites with group and self paced activites.

Check this link to see how they can be used in maths lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZO3Ja943I

17. I've mentioned this before, but having played with most of the voting systems around, I would consider the TI-Npsire Graphical Calculator with Wireless Navigator cradle. This gives you the facility to do whole class or self-paced questions like the other voting sysyems... But in addition you get a very powerful maths environment which can do graphing, geometry and statistics, which opens up some really interesting opportunities.
    http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire_navigator.html

18. Hi fosterdrew,

I have been on learningclips site and wondered if you have subscribed to it or are you using the free resources? Are they any good? Are you also taking part in the BETA program using the ActiveExpression?

Was wondering if it was worth subscribing to? Has anyone else subscribed to it that give me any feedback? Thanks

19. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I'll be interested to see what answer you get, seeing as fosterdrew is the owner (or chief publicist, at least) of the site in question.
    It would seem to be good form for someone plugging their own website to make it clear that they have a vested interest ...

20. *Hiding my face in shame*

I never knew these devices existed...we have enough problem getting interactive whiteboards in our classrooms.

Chalk and grids painted onto blackboards anyone?

Must investigate more...