1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voter Suppression in the USA

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Hundreds of thousands of voters have been removed from the electoral rolls (e.g. 53,000 in Georgia, 70,000 in North Dakota) and will turn up to vote on November 6th only to find themselves turned away. Surprisingly, the overwhelming majority of these voters will be from minorities who tend to vote Democrat - in North Dakota the Native Americans have been disenfranchised en masse because the voter ID requirement includes a street address which the reservations often don't have. The Democrats apparently have lots of cash for the upcoming midterms. Let's hope they're spending it addressing the manifest injustice of those being entitled to vote not being allowed to. As for the Republicans, the suspicion that they can only steal elections rather than win them fair and square hangs in the air like a miasma.

monicabilongame and oldsomeman like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

oldsomeman likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Where did this report come from please?

4. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

I think the OP wrote it from a variety of news stories. Ironically, I'm seeing suggestions that this type of coverage which deplores voter suppression is actually contributing to it because people feel there's no point in turning up.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. MAGAorMIGA

8. MAGAorMIGA

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thing is a lot of these cases seem to be the expectation that the voter will have a correct up-to-date address.

Well, I have to give my address when I go to vote... I don't have to show ID obviously, they just seem to take it on trust. But if the local law says the address has to be correct... well that's the law [unless it conflicts with the Federal law which is a test for the Supreme Court]... in the case of North Dakota, why don't the reservations issue new IDs with updated addresses on for example? ... could someone explain it better to me?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A CNN report from North Dakota.

CNN found Native Americans got a new ID in minutes at no cost to them, CNN could find no-one who was unable to vote as a result of the change in the law and voting will be permitted even without ID and any issues will be resolved after election day.

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/2/12774066/voter-id-laws-racist

Longtime Republican consultant Carter Wrenn, a fixture in North Carolina politics, said the GOP’s voter fraud argument is nothing more than an excuse.

“Of course it’s political. Why else would you do it?” he said, explaining that Republicans, like any political party, want to protect their majority. While GOP lawmakers might have passed the law to suppress some voters, Wrenn said, that does not mean it was racist.

“Look, if African Americans voted overwhelmingly Republican, they would have kept early voting right where it was,” Wrenn said. “It wasn’t about discriminating against African Americans. They just ended up in the middle of it because they vote Democrat.”

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Everyone knows why they do it

Everyone knows it's wrong

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. MAGAorMIGA

Greg Palast, the investigative journalist, is doing his best to expose this blatant anti-democracy:
    Greg Palast‏@Greg_Palast
    BREAKING: In response to my threat of a federal law suit, #Georgia Secretary of State #BrianKemp has coughed up the names and addresses of every one of the 591,000 voters he deleted from the rolls in 2017. https://www.gregpalast.com/have-you-been-purged/… #Crosscheck #VoterSuppression #StopTheSteal

Greg Palast‏@Greg_Palast 6m6 minutes ago

As a result of Williams continued hiding of public info, attorneys for the Palast Investigative Fund have sent him a 90-day Notice that we are preparing a law suit against him in federal court in Denver under the National Voter Registration Act. https://www.gregpalast.com/colorado-voter-purge-list-2018/… #Colorado

15. MAGAorMIGA

Are You One of 769,436 Voters on the #Colorado Purge List? URGENT: If you’re on the list, re-register NOW! Colorado’s Online Registration Deadline is Monday, October 29. Please share with every CO voter you know!!!

16. MAGAorMIGA

The numbers are horrifying. The Republicans are intent on stealing the mid-term elections. Every American needs to check they are still registered to vote and then use it on November 6th!

17. MAGAorMIGA

One source claims 13 MILLION voters have been purged from the lists USA-wide. It's disgusting.

18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Relatives in US have said there is a form that people not on the voting register can ask for at the polling booth and they have to be given by law which will allow them to vote. Sorry can't find the name/number of the form.

19. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Yes what a choice. Republican or Republican lite.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Gerrymandering is supposed to disadvantage Democrats more than Republicans so it's a wonder they don't make more of the issue.