1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vote of no confidence in the governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by johan14, May 30, 2012.

1. I am wondering if there is a procedure for doing this. In 2009 we got a new head. They were gone within 5 terms. The new head is likely to go after around 5 too. Both were most definitely not the preferred choice of the staff body and student body and yet the governors went with them. Their appointments have led to many staff moving on and the school being no better than in 2009.

Is it possible for the staff body to officially or unofficially make their displeasure clear to the governors that the governors need to be held accountable for the destruction and angst these two appointments have cause?

2. I am wondering if there is a procedure for doing this. In 2009 we got a new head. They were gone within 5 terms. The new head is likely to go after around 5 too. Both were most definitely not the preferred choice of the staff body and student body and yet the governors went with them. Their appointments have led to many staff moving on and the school being no better than in 2009.

Is it possible for the staff body to officially or unofficially make their displeasure clear to the governors that the governors need to be held accountable for the destruction and angst these two appointments have cause?

3. Whatever you think of your governing body they are the decision makers in appointing headteachers. The best would take into account all views and opinions, but ultimately, the decision is theirs.
    How do you know the new HT will only stay for 5 terms? Did the previous HT leave to go on to bigger and better things? If so, then one must presume a successful track record at your school.
    The governors are no doubt aware that they are accountable for their decisions.

4. First head went on to take a headship closer to home. Rumour has it she was applying for other headships shortly after joining our school.
    The second head is barely in school and we have heard via contacts in the county that they are preparing an exit strategy to work at county.

I would just like the governors to be told in no uncertain terms. You *** up. Twice.

5. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

The simple answer is no. The Governing Body of a school rule the roost. I am sure that your GB will have taken into consideration the views of the staff and student body but that will have only have been two ingredients of many that will have been considered in the choice of your heads. There is nothing in what you write to indicate that they made a mistake. You appear simply to be unlucky. There is never a problem in letting GB's know your displeasure though.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Were you hoping for the job yourself, johan?

7. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

You're making an awful lot of assumptions and accepting an awful lot of rumours as true johan14. It's not obvious to me how the governors have "***ed up" once let alone twice. In what sense have they "***ed up" in appointing a head who sounds as if they've only been in post since the start of this term, other than that you wanted someone else?

8. Quite rightly, there is no such procedure.
    Nothing you have written makes me think the governors have messed up. Appointing any new staff is a gamble. No doubt the governors will have had an LA officer on the interview panel to offer opinion and guidance.
    Perhaps the staff think they could have done a better job, but they weren't on the panel and don't know the full story, so they probably would have done no better!

9. 5 terms. I think I made it clear. Apologies if it was not stated clearly enough. Our second head will go soon (an associate head has been appointed)
    They (the governors) have *** up (made grave errors) because they have inspite of staff and student opinion on the best candidate for the school chosen two head teachers who have quickly chose to move on.

10. Are you a full time stalker?

11. Fair enough. Had we (and the students) appointed a candidate we would however have chosen candidates who we knew would be committed to our students We had a fair mind of who these were (we met them all) and made it clear who we thought should be appointed and more importantly who should not be appointed.

Staff turnover at our school is now approaching 50% since 2009. I simply thought there was a procedure for holding those who made the ultimate decision to choose our heads to account. Obviously I was wrong.