1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vorderman Mathematics Task Force - Update

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Oct 16, 2010.

1. DM

DM New commenter

Thanks.
    I haven't heard an awful lot more - the progress of the Taskforce has been rather pushed off my radar by the rapid and alarming pace of other developments.

2. Well, hope all ok there DM.

As above, I suspect there will be some tinkering around the edge but it's hard to see Gove implementing too many changes, I doubt they have the cash/infrastructure to alter very much.

For what it's worth (probably not much), here are Mystic Sara's predictions:

6 to 4 (or 1!) modules for A Level, maybe, the exam boards (or at least those not catering to a decreasing audience!) could be made to sort that one out.

KS4, a bit more of the move towards the QWC/functional skills, again, exam boards sort it. Content? Unchanged.

KS3, no change.

KS2, the worst of both worlds, KS2 testing continues, albeit in a slightly different form, some sort of teacher assessed tasks that count towards to judgement. If they splash what little cash they have, I suspect it will be here.

3. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Regardless of content, scope, legitimacy, relevance, intellect (or lack thereof)... what a great shame that come the release of the paper in the summer, the national press will simply focus on the fact that it is Carol Vorderman. Cue all the usual puns and nonsense about countdown, blah-di-blah and mathematics teaching is reduced to media mocking yet again. Oh joy of joys...

I was hoping to read that other thread about the thread etc... but when I got off the plane, it was gone! Oh dear, oh dear

4. when it was first mooted, there was a lot of harrumphing, not least from cv herself, about basic maths teaching methods at primary - i have not kept up at all - does anyone have updated info
    ps dm - i have seen those no1 smileys - they are often used on games forums - i would say not that i go on such things, but then i couldn't admit i have long coveted one myself - but i want one for beating tmaster at 'jewel of atlantis' [​IMG]

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

and the thread pertaining to "the thread about the......" which wasn't even called "the thread about...." has also seemingly vanished!!

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's quite pleasant that the "facilitator" isn't around though. Every cloud...