1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vorderman Mathematics Task Force - Update

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Oct 16, 2010.

1. I've just re-read my own post and would like to clarify that I personally hold much of the NCTEMs work in pretty high esteem. When I mentioned their online magazine in our departmental office no one else had heard of NCTEM. And before any one accuses me of being subjective, I'm not suggesting my school as a representative sample.

2. The figures show that they've got vast numbers of teachers signed up to the portal.
    However it's extremely difficult to accurately measure how much people are using the resources.
    The key targets are young, enthusiastic teachers, trainee teachers and HODs. At primary its the numeracy co-ordinators and the Mast trainees
    I get the impression they're hitting these targets fairly well given that they haven't been going very long and that it's taken time to develop microsites and resources for these groups.
    I've been involved in the development of some of the materials and it's taken time as the people writing them have have had to develop with the materials. For quite some time there has been a divide between ordinary teachers and those who write professional materials for teachers. It's taken time to bridge that divide. I've been impressed by what the NCETM has achieved so far.

3. DM

DM New commenter

Which figures?
    If you want an example of a really active education forum, The Student Room has over 500,000 members and 26 million posts (as of August 2010).
    Guess who was voted Most Helpful Academic Member 2010 this week?
    [​IMG]
    (Did I cram that in awkwardly in order to show off or did I get away with it?)

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

DM you're obviously a great faciitator. Well done [​IMG]

5. DM

DM New commenter

They awarded me a special smiley with a cup with a 1 on it but it doesn't work on TES.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Wahey. You don't get one of those when you facilitate on ncsl, I'm jealous!

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh dear. It seems that dome just can't help themselves. Such a shame.

8. 130. S'alright curly, on this one they just seem to be knocking out my individual posts!

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I wonder why. Maybe if you refrained from trying to slur others reputations they wouldn't have to. Still, if it pleases you...

10. DM

DM New commenter

No but I have a smiley of a cup with a 1 on it.
    [​IMG]

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

DM yer just showing off!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What is the point of that, you loon?
    You claim you personally "researched" TES well enough to find a previous username but yet you're spouting sh*te about how long I've been teaching and whatever else that **** was about.
    It's deliberate bait and I've reported it as such.

13. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I don't know. Come on, DM, don't keep us in suspense like this - can you give us a clue?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

A wise move.

15. DM

DM New commenter

I would normally be too modest to say Nazard but, as there is a very strong possibility becka will claim the credit if I don't, it was me, all me.

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Gallic invective? Pah. How bourgeois.

17. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

That's a relief - I was anxious for a moment there!
    Very many congratulations on your award.

18. DM

DM New commenter

Thank you Nazard.
    I like TSR as it is full of young people who want to learn and who are genuinely grateful when you give up a few minutes to help them.

19. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

So it's a utopian vision of a school, then?

20. That's fantastic news DM, many congratulations!

DM on the Vorderman Task Force, what's your take on the likely outcome? I remember some time ago you saying that you felt what was coming for secondary wouldn't scare horses but implied the news was rather worse for primary. Any more you know or can tell us?

It's hard to see what they can really change, given that they won't want to spend money on anything and with QCDA gone, other government funded quangos/DfE funded bodies likely to go the same way soon, who would do it anyhow? Or is Rodger going to be extremely busy!
    And vince_ulam, given that I've already said I rather like NCTEM, I do wonder how you might behave towards those expressing the contrary opinion.