1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteers to test teaching resources

Discussion in 'English' started by AndreaM123, Mar 9, 2011.

1. AndreaM123

AndreaM123 New commenter

Oh my goodness, that didn't look too good... apologies for that, I pressed the wrong button, too early. I hope this makes more sense:

Mencap is looking for teachers to test its new Spellathon pack. Spellathon is a spelling programme for schools. The free pack provides five weeks worth of resources for teachers of years 1 to 6 including:

- six weeks of work for each year group
    - carefully planned, differentiated lessons to develop spelling strategies, encompassing the National Literacy Strategy
    - ideas for PSHCE activities covering the main principles of SEAL
    - a school assembly plan for the start of the programme
    - differentiated lists of spelling for each year group linked to the National Literacy Strategy On week 6 students are asked to do the Spellathon and spell correctly the words from a list provided. The words on that list have been selected by Oxford University Press from the list of words taught the previous week. What we need from you
    The 2011 pack will be ready to be tested in early May 2011. We are looking for primary teachers to volunteer to: 1. read through the pack 2. test it in your school, if possible3. provide feedback about the pack and the Spellathon initiative to Mencap by email and telephone. Register your interest
    Please email andrea.matias@mencap.org.uk by 27 April if you are interested or have any questions. Please include your current school’s name and the years you teach. We will only contact you about this research initiative, we will not contact you about anything else unless you specifically ask us to. Teachers who provide feedback by the agreed deadline could win Amazon vouchers.
    Please help Mencap improve spelling in schools and support people with learning disabilities by providing this valuable feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Many Thanks!
    A

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'd like to try this with my low ability KS3 classes. Is that possible?

3. I was just going to say that I use the old Spellathon stuff at secondary and would be willing to test new versions.

4. AndreaM123

AndreaM123 New commenter

Hi airy and gruoch

Many thanks for your interest. I have private messaged you to folow up, I look forward to hearing from you.

If there are any teachers out there interested in testing there free resources before we launch them, it's not too late to sign up for the testing - just get in touch: 0207 696 5566 or andrea.matias@mencap.org.uk and we can have a chat about how you can do your testing.

Many thanks!