1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteering

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AmeliaHarvey, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I've just moved to a little village in Wales. Do you think volunteering to help at a local school is a good way to get known, and to start jobseeking? I want to teach (or be a teaching assisstant) in a primary school but as I don't speak Welsh, I'am at a disadvantage.
    Any good ideas about how to go about jobseeking would be appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you were asking me even 5 years ago I would have said yes, volunteering is good experience and can lead to jobs. However now with CRB check evidence andother worries this is more difficult than it used to be.
    I always used to volunteer and got work from it but after doing a couple of long-term sick covers at one school over the past 2-3 years and 'lost my contacs' I'm finding it very difficult to get anyone to let me volunteer. I've approached 3 schools where I have contacts with former colleagues and still haerd nothing back from 2 and had a polite '"We're well resourced for volunteers at present. Thank you!" form the other.
    When you say 'a little village in Wales', is it in a Welsh speaking area? If it is, you may well need to be considered Welsh-speaking first, even if it's only the basics. Some areas are 'stricter' than others.