1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteering for a reference

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by PGstudent, Sep 1, 2017.

1. PGstudent

PGstudent New commenter

I'm at the early stages of returning to teaching after a long, long time away from the classroom. My next step is to obtain some volunteering experience for the sake of a fresh reference to help get a first supply post/check I actually want to do this.

How long/often would you want a volunteer for in your school in order to feel able to provide a reference and be of actual use to your team?

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

It depends what you can offer - I spent one day a week for two terms volunteering alongside my MSc work - I did some UCAS and study skills support with sixth form, and a bit of in-class support for younger years. I didn't need a reference from that school, other than for safeguarding confirmation, but they would have been quite happy to provide one after that length of time.

3. PGstudent

PGstudent New commenter

Thanks. I was thinking a day a week from the New Year until the end of the school year.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In order to be of real use, then every morning or every afternoon would be more useful than one day.
    If you could offer, say, three afternoons, then the school might well snap you up.

What are you thinking of suggesting you do as a volunteer?

5. PGstudent

PGstudent New commenter

Well, I was thinking of being able to take reading groups, support small groups or individuals in language or maths, help out at any after school club? I've got a personal interest in arts and craft (I've helped with adult groups over the past few years).

Does that sound any use?