1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteering during a levels in Primary school advice

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by RRJewkes, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi, not sure if this is the right site to post on but I was wondering can you go back to your old primary school to volunteer to get experience before I apply to uni? I'm in year 11 at school but want to volunteer at a primary school (but my local primary is my old one) during study leave and over the next 2 years while I do my A-Levels. I really love working with children and want to be a primary school teacher. Can you go back to your old school to volunteer? What kinds of things would I do during volunteering? And how do you go about asking to volunteer? Sorry about all the questions but it's something I really want to do but have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

2. Hi, not sure if this is the right site to post on but I was wondering can you go back to your old primary school to volunteer to get experience before I apply to uni? I'm in year 11 at school but want to volunteer at a primary school (but my local primary is my old one) during study leave and over the next 2 years while I do my A-Levels. I really love working with children and want to be a primary school teacher. Can you go back to your old school to volunteer? What kinds of things would I do during volunteering? And how do you go about asking to volunteer? Sorry about all the questions but it's something I really want to do but have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

3. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

Hi, When I was in Year 11 I went back to my old primary school and did a short work experience there, and during my A-Levels I did work experience at other local primaries as well. This all came in useful when writing my personal statement when applying for uni and during the interview. I wrote a letter to the schools and briefly outlined my situation i.e. at school looking for work experience to eventually apply for teacher training. When on placement I think it depends how much freedom the individual school/class teachers give you. I used to do marking, playground duty, supporting groups during classwork, listening to readers, reading a story at the end of the day. But you would need to discuss that with the school/teacher to get across what you want to get out of it and what they are willing for you to do. Some schools have also let me look at their planning so you get an idea of how thats done, but its a good opportunity to ask questions about teaching in general and start getting an idea of what the profession is like. Good luck with it :)

4. Hi

I admire your forward planning; it shows real commitment.
    Just to be on the safe side, check with your school to see if they have their
    own policy regarding old students returning to complete voluntary work.

What you would do there would depend again on the policy of
    the school and the individual teachers. Decide what you would like to get out
    of the experience beforehand and use this when asking for the experience and
    also during your initial discussions with the school.

You can contact them via letter, email or phone and it is
    often good to show that you want to help them in the classroom rather than
    observing. Keep a diary while you are there to note down what you participated
    in but also when you have seen successful teaching methodology or excellent
    classroom management.

This experience will undoubtedly strengthen your application
    to teacher training. Good luck!