1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteering at SEN School

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by withnail1969, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hello
    I'm looking for some advice.
    I would like to become a SEN Teaching Assistant. I have been a SAHM for 8 years and have a child with a Statement of Special Needs.
    I'm currently putting together a CV showing relevant experience, including supporting a blind friend, first aid courses etc and I plan to send this to local SEN schools hoping I will be able to volunteer.
    Is there anything other than enthusiasm that would help in getting my foot in the door?
    At the moment I just want to be accepted as a volunteer but realise that might not be as easy as it sounds.
    Any words of wisdom appreciated!

2. Hello
    I'm looking for some advice.
    I would like to become a SEN Teaching Assistant. I have been a SAHM for 8 years and have a child with a Statement of Special Needs.
    I'm currently putting together a CV showing relevant experience, including supporting a blind friend, first aid courses etc and I plan to send this to local SEN schools hoping I will be able to volunteer.
    Is there anything other than enthusiasm that would help in getting my foot in the door?
    At the moment I just want to be accepted as a volunteer but realise that might not be as easy as it sounds.
    Any words of wisdom appreciated!

3. just bumping

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

You seem to be doing all the right things to be a volunteer. Do you have a clear idea of the type of SEN school thet you want to volunteer in? and the type of thing you would like to help with (eg in classrooms? what age group? swimming? reading / telling stories ) Someone flexible but with a clear idea of how they could be used but willing to do anything can be more welcome than a general enquiry about volunteering.
    I'd include any knowledge of working with symbols or signing if you have any and do make sure you include your knowledge gained as a SAHM, the experience of negotiating the system for your son and the multidisciplinary work you will have been involved in is invaluable (phrased in professional terms naturally).
    Good luck

5. Thank-you, that's all really helpful. You've given me some ideas of bits and pieces I can add.
    It's much appreciated!