1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteer Teaching Opportunity - Refugee Children's Centres

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lizhibberd83, Dec 20, 2017.

1. lizhibberd83

lizhibberd83 New commenter

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post here...
    I recently took on the role of Education and Training Lead for the organisation Refugee Children’s Centres. Coming from an education background, being both a primary and English as a Foreign Language Teacher, I whole-heartedly value the importance and role that education plays in the life of children. At all ages, the routine and stimulation that learning fosters, enables learners to manage, understand and navigate the challenges that life throws at them. Whether by equipping them with strategies to deal with their experiences or allowing them to be children; playing, laughing and learning.

At the RCC, we believe that play is instrumental in facilitating children’s development and this forms the foundation of our work. Working in partnerships with local organisations in Greece and The Gambia, we provide safe spaces for learning to take place and for engaging activities to run. We work cross-culturally and in collaboration with local actors to ensure that we are meeting the needs of refugee children, facilitating child development and promoting positive interactions.

Finding volunteers that can support our delivery and undertake roles in the field is key. We are currently planning to extend our provision in Greece with a new centre opening in January and would love to hear from anyone who thinks they could commit some time with us. Working with minimal resources, with learners that have complex needs and experiences and in difficult contexts is hard and requires resilience. The experience can be challenging, intense and emotional but ultimately is so rewarding and worthwhile.

Please contact me on education@refugeechildrenscentres,org should have any questions.

Many thanks,

Liz