1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteer teaching in Egypt

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ahmedakhalil, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ahmedakhalil

ahmedakhalil New commenter

Looking for volunteer teachers in English, Math, physics, biology and chemistry. Who are native speakers of English and have IGCSE experience. The volunteer posts are in Egypt. Suitable campus accommodation and local suitable salaries are provided. Volunteer teachers will have a low teaching load. In addition, they will train fresh graduate teaching assistants to become IGCSE teachers. The post is for one year and extendable for qualified candidates.

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Haha. Sadly, this is probably not a joke.
    At least they're not pretending to offer a decent living, like some schools in the country. They're being blatant. I bet there's a profit school behind this scam too.

3. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

He wants maths, physics, biology and chemistry teachers to 'volunteer' for an entire year?

And train their replacements into the bargain?

What a fantastic sense of humour!

4. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

So they are volunteer posts, yet they are paid a local salary. So which one is it? Volunteer or salaried? Or are you suggesting that the salary is so appallingly low that it might as well be volunteering?

I also like the part where the post is 'extendable' for qualified candidates. So basically, if you work really hard and you're really, really good they might just allow you to carry on working for free.

davidbowiefan likes this.
  5. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

May we know the name of the school and a bit more explanation of your meaning of volunteering?

6. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

i might be interested.

7. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

There are some lines of work where people have to volunteer just to get experience before getting a real job. Teaching maths, physics or chemistry doesn't fall into that category and I suspect that teaching biology doesn't either.

So, if those people are going to 'volunteer', they're going to want to know that it's for a good cause. The OP hasn't mentioned which good cause it's for.

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It's probably Nicky Morgan's latest wheeze to train teachers cheaply and outsource education. After all the Chinese are buildinguour nuclear power plants.

9. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It's for the CESORF.
    Times have been hard lately in Egypt for CESORF members. Whilst one or two Harrisons have taken off, many private schools have fallen on hard times. I knew one such lady, who's husband worked for Mubarak, who can no longer afford her annual merc upgrade; such halcyon days are over for these poor pensioners.
    Give generously to the Corrupt Egyptian School Owners Retirement Fund.

TonyGT likes this.
  10. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

11. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks david

12. Cantandmorecant

Cantandmorecant Lead commenter

Got to be a joke.

13. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Less offensive threads get deleted and yet this still stands. Beyond comprehension, is the mind of a TES mod.
    I put forward my vote of no confidence in TES mods.

14. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Enjoy your ban.