1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voluntary work to complete NQT year...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by tromboneman1971, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi,

I don't know if anyone can answer this question?

In June 2009 I gained my PGCE but have struggled to obtain a full time position ever since. (I am a secondary music teacher).
    I am now in a position to be able to offer my time, for free, in order to complete my NQT year.
    However, I thought I would ring the TDA helpline in order to confirm if this is possible. I was told that it is not permitted under current regulations.
    I asked for a copy of the current regulations where it details that voluntary completion of the NQT year is not allowed.
    Needless to say, this has proved more challenging for the team at the TDA helpline than they first thought!
    I was promised a response (on email) by the end of last week but it was not forthcoming.
    I just wondered if anyone out there has encountered this situation before and what response I am likely to get from the TDA helpline, eventually!

Thanks.

2. Hi,

I don't know if anyone can answer this question?

In June 2009 I gained my PGCE but have struggled to obtain a full time position ever since. (I am a secondary music teacher).
    I am now in a position to be able to offer my time, for free, in order to complete my NQT year.
    However, I thought I would ring the TDA helpline in order to confirm if this is possible. I was told that it is not permitted under current regulations.
    I asked for a copy of the current regulations where it details that voluntary completion of the NQT year is not allowed.
    Needless to say, this has proved more challenging for the team at the TDA helpline than they first thought!
    I was promised a response (on email) by the end of last week but it was not forthcoming.
    I just wondered if anyone out there has encountered this situation before and what response I am likely to get from the TDA helpline, eventually!

Thanks.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Don't you need a contract to be able to complete induction? I suspect that's where the determination will lie.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

To complete induction you must be employed (and therefore paid) as a mainscale teacher x

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I think the TDA helpline should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority as not doing what it says it should do!
    To complete induction you need to be employed in a school as a teacher so voluntary work cannot directly help with completing induction however you could use the voluntary work to try to gain a full or part time position.

6. Thanks for your responses!
    I must be 'employed' is exactly what the TDA helpline said...I asked for the evidence and they have been unable to supply it.
    If it is not written in any regulations then I fully intend to exploit this oversight.
    Furthermore, I understand that to be 'employed' does not mean that I have to be paid...
    I am quite happy to write my own contract offering the required hours, for free, for the duration of one academic year.
    I would be interested in seeing the written evidence that excludes me from completing my NQT year on a voluntary basis.
    Can anyone advise where I may find this?

Thanks.

7. You're just being silly now. To do your NQT year you need to be employed by a school. It is not possible to be employed voluntarily.