1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voluntary T.A (media studies gcse)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ssantos86, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I need a bit of advice... I emailed a bunch of local schools to ask if I could do some classroom observations and did a day at a 6th form college which basically consisted of me sitting and writting notes.

I then got an email from a secondary school saying they would let me do a day a week for 6 weeks. I figured since I said observation in my email, that it would be the same set up as the previous place.

Except when I got there for my first day last week, I was told I would have to actually assist the teacher. This happens to be in media studies classes.

I have an A level in Film Studies and a Film Production degree and intend to teach Film Studies and perhaps also Media Studies at sixth form level.

I was lacking confidence a bit and the feedback I got suggested I need to spend a bit more time with each student rather than just walking around seeing who needs help and so on.

I'm basically here to ask for general advice on the subject as I didn't do it myself. I felt a little bit out of the loop with some of the things they covered (not sure why :/ )

What can I do between now and tomorrow to kind of brush up and how can I improve on my general teaching assistance?

2. I need a bit of advice... I emailed a bunch of local schools to ask if I could do some classroom observations and did a day at a 6th form college which basically consisted of me sitting and writting notes.

I then got an email from a secondary school saying they would let me do a day a week for 6 weeks. I figured since I said observation in my email, that it would be the same set up as the previous place.

Except when I got there for my first day last week, I was told I would have to actually assist the teacher. This happens to be in media studies classes.

I have an A level in Film Studies and a Film Production degree and intend to teach Film Studies and perhaps also Media Studies at sixth form level.

I was lacking confidence a bit and the feedback I got suggested I need to spend a bit more time with each student rather than just walking around seeing who needs help and so on.

I'm basically here to ask for general advice on the subject as I didn't do it myself. I felt a little bit out of the loop with some of the things they covered (not sure why :/ )

What can I do between now and tomorrow to kind of brush up and how can I improve on my general teaching assistance?

3. Well, in terms of 'teaching assistance', you should have a chat with the teacher you are assisting. All teachers have different requirements, depending on what their own strengths and weaknesses are (and workloads!)
    It might be that he/she would like you to help get classroom ready for students, or prepare materials for the next lesson etc etc
    You didn't mention why you wanted to go into locals schools to do observations. Is it linked to something you are studying?
    As for knowing something about the subject - I wouldn't worry too much about that. Learn about it with the students - you're not the teacher! However, you could ask for a plan of the lesson in advance so you can swot up before the session starts?
    Was it the school you are visiting that thought you should spend more time with the students? It's difficult to spend more time with them if they are busy working. Maybe ask the teacher if there are some who might need a bit of support, and might benefit from having someone nearby to help them out? If the school thinks you should spend more time with them, ask them directly what they would like you to do with the students.
    Communication with teacher is the key - if you are unsure, ask.

4. Thanks!

I'm trying to get some experience as I was applying for pgce courses (wasn't successful though so will re apply in october as soon as I can, and with more experience hopefully) :)

5. Good luck with applying for PGCE courses!

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would ask the teacher which stydents they'd like you to work with and what they'd like you to do. Enthuse and encourage but be very firm with students. Be very clear about what you need to do - better to spend a couple of minutes at the beginning of the lesson than continually checking with a busy teacher. So long as you keep the students on task and are enthusiastic, you'll be fine.