1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

voluntary redundancy letter to govs?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teacherandmum, Mar 28, 2011.

1. can anyone help me? i needf to write to the govsa to say i'll reduce my hours and take voluntary redundancy as school currently will be making a redundancy as of sept 1st.
    what shall i put? i'm getting a bit biogged down - i want to keep it short and sweet but seem to be waffling!!!
    io also want to put in that io'd like the days i will do to be 3 consecutive whole days. is this the right time to do that?
    thanks in advance

2. sorry. typos as result of feeding baby one handed!!!!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can ask for this, but there is no guarantee the school will accede to this. It will not normally be written into the contract and can be changed from year to year, depending on the school's needs and/or situation. For example, if the best/most suitable/only teacher found to do the other two days is only available on (say) Mondays and Wednesdays, the school cannot give you what you want.

4. Sorry you can't do this :)
    Redundancy is something that either happens or it does not. Terminato, finito, end of employment, full stop.
    Now, what you may mean, I think is that you want to take voluntary redundancy and then start a new job in the same school next day with reduced hours.
    First thing is to check that your school/LEA will actually allow you to do this.
    Most seem to take this view as an alternative to redundancy, i.e. you take the lower hours to avoid being made redundant - but your employment is continuous, so no redundancy.

5. it's all been agreed orally with gov, head, union and lea. i will take voluntary redundancy 0.4 and be paid a redundancy settlement by the lea , i just need to put it in writing.

6. You cannot legally do it exactly like that.
    You cannot be made redundant from 1 job and start another the next day. You have to have a period of being unemployed, from memory it's 30 days, but I could be wrong.

7. all sorted.
    i can get a renumeration from my council for offering to reduce my hours to avoid compulsary redundancies. i can then continue in my current school for the reduced hours contract.

8. Sounds like a good deal to me :) You also get continuation of employment, if you were redundant and restarted you'd be back to zero again.

9. This is generally wrong. You can start a new job before your old one has actually finished, if your current employer is willing.
    The only point where this might be an issue is if the new job is with the same organisation but it's not an offer of alternative employment (in which case you aren't redundant ...), then I honestly don't know.

10. In my authority the days that a part timer wants to work were not originally an issue and only the % of the full time equivalent was set at the time of writing the contracts.
    Now it is the case that people asking for part-time express the days/part days they wish to work. If it is agreed then it is written into their contract and cannot be changed without the agreement of the SMT and the part time member of staff.

11. Yes and no. Your employer has a responsibility to try to find you alternative work. If you do not get this you are made redundant. If they find you something suitable you can accept it (and may not get redundancy if you turn it down).
    If you then take up another job with the same employer that does not change the fact that you have been made redundant. There is no continuity of employment.