1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voluntary assistant - just starting out.. Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by carleetee, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am a 35 year old mum to two pre-schoolers and I am about to start a voluntary post in a local junior school for one morning a week. I realise I am in the early stages of finding out whether the teaching route is for me however I did voluntary experience many moons ago as a teenager (before I went on to get a media degree and a job as marketing assistant) and I remember really enjoying it and feeling as though it was an avenue I would one day like to explore.
    My query lies around how best to use my free time to study. I realise that becoming a TA or Primary teacher is highly competitive but I feel that I want to do all I can to put myself in the best position. I am half-way though an OU Psychology Degree (2 years remaining) which has been on hold for 4 years and I am wondering whether to complete that over the next couple of years while I gain classroom experience or to look in to TA qualifications such as the one discussed in these forums with the OU (E111 I think!)
    Is it too soon for me to look in to a TA qualification? I think the start date is October and from the reviews it may be too soon to have the knowledge to complete the course and they recommend 1 day a week in a school, which I can't afford to do right now. Also, I think this course is L4, and I have read discussions about NVQ (or equivalent) qualifications at levels 1,2, and 3 so I'm not quite sure which is the best and most recognised way to qualify.
    I suspect people will tell me to gain a few years experience first which is why I initially considered completing my Psychology degree as I thought perhaps this would give me an interesting angle to support any potential application for a PGCE/GTP or TA position.
    What does anyone think? Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks, Carly

2. From what you are saying, it sounds like finishing your degree would be the best way to at least start. Carry on with the morning a week in school and this can hopefully change when your circumstaces change.