1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Volcanoes KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by christian_park, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hey
    I'm having a stressful time trying to plan a unit of work on Volcanoes for a Y5/6 class. Maybe I'm being a bit stupid here but I can't find any objectives in the NC relevant to the topic, yet there are numerous resources made for KS2 (one of which is sat next to me!).

Has anybody got any suggestions or any planning I could look at? Obviously I'd swap whatever planning I can offer.

Christian [​IMG]

2. I don't know if you have Quest (The Literacy Support Programme) for year 3 in your school but there is a unit on Volcanoes there. I know your children are older but you could adapt it.

Emma

3. I taught it as a year 5 skills based curriculum unit last year. The planning needs some developing, which I haven't done yet, but if you message me your email address then I'll send you what I've got...
    giggle. x

4. Hey Emma

Thanks, I will have a look in school.

5. Thanks Giggle. Message sent

:)

6. Thanks Giggle. Message sent

:)

7. Hey guys

Still really struggling here. Any ideas?

Christian :)

8. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I have all our objectives from when we did a natural disasters unit last year. I've sent you a pm with the details. I'll keep looking for anything else I have related to it.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I would start with an 'issue' like "Why do people live near Volcanoes?"
    That gives you a good lead-in, a good reason to find out all about them, and a bit of investigative work too. Then the objectives you could meet include:
    Geography:
    1d. identify and explain different views that people, including themselves, hold about topical geographical issues
    2a. to use appropriate geographical vocabulary
    2c. to use atlases and globes, and maps and plans at a range of scales
    2d. to use secondary sources of information, including aerial photographs
    3b. the location of places and environments they study and other significant places and environments
    3d. to explain why places are like they are
    4b. recognise some physical [...] processes and explain how these can cause changes in places and environments.
    You could also address:
    Science:
    Sc3/1d. to describe and group rocks and soils on the basis of their characteristics, including appearance, texture and permeability
    Sc2/1b. that the life processes common to plants include growth, nutrition and reproduction
    Sc2/3c. that the root anchors the plant, and that water and minerals are taken in through the root and transported through the stem to other parts of the plant

It's also a great topic to link to the study of the Romans so you can bring in Pompeii, etc. if you wish.

Some useful, fairly child friendly information here:
    http://library.thinkquest.org/17457/volcanoes/advantages.php

10. WOW ! Thanks so much Benvanloo and Tafkam!

These are the lesson titles that I decided on:

<ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Where are volcanoes in the world & why?<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">How is a volcano formed?<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">How does a volcano erupt? Linked to science (chemical processes)<li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">What are the effects of an eruption? Focus on Pompeii <li style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;" class="MsoNormal">Icelandic Volcano &ndash; What happened and why did it cause so many problems?</ol>I'm sure I will be more than capable of finishing this plan now !
    Christian

11. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

TES delivers. Fact!

12. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi,
    I did volcanos in KS1. I too found that there wasn't a lot of resources out there, so I looked at the Geography NC and looked at what parts could link into the topic. In the end I planned the unit myself and I covered:

What is a volcano? Pictures/ videos

How do volcanoes work? (Diagrams, videos)

What are the parts of a volcano? (Labelling a diagram)

What is the effect that a volcano can have on the surrounding population? (2 lessons - positive effects AND negative effects and why on earth do people live near volcanoes?)

Along side this, my class made a volcano together, working on it in small groups during lessons which we then erupted at the end of the unit using bicarb and vinegar. We also did a mentos volcano which was great fun.

Oh and look at all the recent stuff you can link in. My class LOVED this topic, they were so interested in it, specially in the way it worked and the idea of lava. They loved seeing pictures of people standing close to the volcano and they asked sooo many questions. And I made a massive volcano on the wall display with labels. Ahhh such a good topic. Would love to do it again!!

13. I would be grateful if you would send me your planning as i'm struggling a bit! Thanks
    jillycat

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I did work on volcanoes when teaching solids & liquids.

15. Hi,

Do you have any planning on this? If so could you send it to me; crossie999@hotmail.com?