1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Voila" in Spanish?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Jan 13, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Is there a word like the French "voila" in Spanish? What's the most likely thing you'd say (speaking informally) when you give something to someone and want to say something like "there you go" or "here it is"?
    Thanks!

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I don't speak Spanish, but it would be "ecco!" in Italian - does that give you an idea?

3. I don't think that there is just one word. You could use 'Hé aqui(i with accent) or an imperative form of tener.

4. rosaespanola

I was thinking 'Hé aqui' would probably be closest, I couldn't think of a particular word but I'm not a native speaker so I wondered if there was anything I just haven't heard before. Kids always ask the things you don't know, don't they? I got caught out with "Miss, how do you say meerkat in French?" recently.
    Thanks!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

and the answer is??????????

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

OK, I found it (grace à Wikipedia): Suricate

7. rosaespanola

Yep, that's the only place I could find it. None of the dictionaries were any help, online or otherwise!

8. I was always told that 'ya esta' is the equivalent for voila in spanish - not sure if that's true or not but that's my tuppence!

9. you and henriette obviously haven't spent as many summer holidays as I have trailing round French zoos with small children......[​IMG]
    Mind you, the way my brain is going i'm sure I'd have forgotten it if I'd been put on the spot in a classroom.

10. rosaespanola

Don't worry, someone asked me how to say parsnip in French the other day and I had to look it up (sneakily, in a "I'll race you to see which of us finds it first in the dictionary" kind of way!)

11. rosaespanola

(I should add that when I found it I was sure I'd never seen that word before in my life...all I can assume is that I've never eaten, seen or talked about parsnips in a French-speaking area!