1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voices of homeless people

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 24, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't want this to come across as virtue signalling... but I watched this and was moved.

I don't really know what can be done, except by me as an individual when I pass these people, showing humanity towards them instead of the other cheek and walking away.

So if people have videos or charities they want to share... feel free below...

I don't think of there being a hierarchy of homeless... but that a veteran ex-soldier sleeps homeless on our streets... that is to our shame.

IMO

And yes, I am also too aware that it is only at Christmas that these stories all pop up... odd that Channel 4 don't have much interest in homelessness away from the Christmas season.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thank you for posting this lanokia.

Crisis is a charity I support when I am able as they provide a lot of services for homeless people and also campaign on their behalf.

There are a lot of statistics and information on their site with information on ways to help.

They provide access to education and skills for work as well to try to help people get back on their feet financially as well.

www.crisis.org.uk

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

To be fair to them, Channel Four and Channel Four News regularly feature homelessness.

It is society that has little interest in them outside of xmas.

The best chance the homeless have of an improvement in their lives is a Corbyn government.

My father said that after he returned from Germany in 1945, the only people who did anything much those who had been fighting were the Salvation Army, and he always gave them whatever he had in his pocket and he always spoke up for them.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We have a local charity POTS People On The Streets, which runs help / meals through from Septemberish to March and our Church and others donate to the charity in lieu of Christmas cards. One couple do sterling work from their 'mobile' meals van and we're still trying to find some 'proper accommodation to house them when it's bitterly cold. Inevitably it's certain people who 'don't want a homeless shelter next to them :rolleyes: , who are the biggest hurdle as we have the Council onboard and of course the enormous amounts of money to keep it running. :( We do have the loan of a bus for the very needy, but that only 'sleeps' a small number and again people object to the bus being parked near them :mad:

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You can always do what I do. Got a spare room?

Put someone up for the night OR let them stay with you for months until they can get their own place.

The charity gets testimonials and doesn't place anyone with you who might be danger to you or themselves. You can get youngsters who've self-harmed, of course! But not actively suicidal.

We've done emergency (a night at a time) and we've now got our second supported youngster. He's a lovely lad. I make him meals at regular times when he gets back from work. This is amazing as far as he's concerned. Routine! And cocoa at bedtime and a hot-water bottle. Then we'll talk to him about courses and apprenticeships and tested him for his theory test (driving). You know. Support. He's a member of the family.

No idea where he'd be otherwise. He hasn't many friends for sofa-surfing and the YMCA is not for him. He's far too gentle a soul. Round here the Y is more like a drug and crime ghetto than a place of safety. I can do it? I bet some of you could too.

https://www.nightstop.org.uk/23-years-hosting-nightstop

6. grumpydogwoman

This.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You're a credit to this country.

Far better a person that I am.

Lara mfl 05, pepper5 and Jesmond12 like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Foil emergency blankets cost less that a pound each if bought in packs of ten or more on eBay. They weigh nothing to carry around but could make the difference between survival and hypothermia for a rough sleeper, or someone begging in winter. It's not a room for the night or a more secure future, but it could make the difference and it's better than doing nothing - worth considering anyway.

Lara mfl 05, pepper5 and sodalime like this.
  9. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Agreed - I think Dunnocks does this too.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye... I remember @dunnocks making mention of this...

Both admirable...

11. gargs

gargs Star commenter

St Mungo's is another charity that does good work with the homeless.

St Mungo's link

12. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I've often wondered about the possibility of doing this. But i rent my house, I don't own it . . . I'd probably need to get permission from my landlord.
    Grumpy, would you do it if you lived on your own and her Maj was not with you?

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have always admired your honest opinions and you have gone up even more in my estimations

ilovesooty and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Laudable, but when ordinary individuals take on this kind of care it gives the government more reason not to.

Pretty soon we will have Tory ministers celebrating this scheme in the way they do foodbanks.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So your arguing that charity isn't the responsibility of individuals in any form but of the state? And only when the state has met its duty do you consider it appropriate for the individual to act?

Sounds like a great excuse to do nothing.

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

If the state met its duty there would be no need for the individual to act.

17. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I don't think charities should exist to provide essential services. Essential services should be core funded through government. The services that charitable individuals/groups choose to provide/fund should be add-ons to the core funded. I know it's a lot more complicated than that and one has to follow the money to see what is really going on, but in principle, homelessness is an issue for core government funding not the good will of kind individuals/groups.

18. grumpydogwoman

Good question @sodalime

If I were on my own? I hope I would. We have a lady just up the road who's in her 70s and widowed and she does it.

I like to think I'm a good person to do it. Special Needs experience. KS5 experience. Functional Skills. Employability quals. And we have dogs and a cat which the youngsters all seem to like. We couldn't not do it really.

19. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Would you do it if you worked full time?

Sir_Henry and pepper5 like this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Radio 4 will often discuss homelessness as well.

We're getting nowhere fast with the Tories' lack of a housing policy. I regard having a home to live in as a fundamental human right and find it disgraceful what has been allowed to happen at the expense of the young since 1979.

The trouble is, everyone knows it's an issue that has to be dealt with, but it can't be dealt with until the root causes of homelessness are addressed. The tabloid media would like us to believe that only those who have drug addictions, alcoholics, ex-cons and so on, but of course homelessness can happen to anyone; and every member of this forum, if an unfortunate sequence of events befell them.

I found the responses to my post on the drones thread interesting. I asked the question of whether the news about Christmas holidays being disrupted was more newsworthy than concurrent story about a child sleeping rough in a waste bin and only found in the nick of time by the bin men, before the bin contents were emptied into the cart and crushed.

Reading them was reminiscent of listening to Farage on Question Time with his "No, no, no! Let me speak..." agenda, where nothing other that his pointless view and lies, ever get a word in.

I'm glad the Gatwick crisis is over for those sufficiently wealthy to enjoy Christmas in foreign lands. hoping they will come back with marvelous tales to tell, but my respect for them is diminished if they think that their story is more important than those sleeping rough.

I ask everyone on here to ponder what it would be like for you to find yourself without a home to be in tonight, tomorrow night and for the rest of next year.

Tell me honestly how you would cope and whether in such circumstances you'd regret voting for the governments that both caused the housing crisis and show no concern about it.

monicabilongame, pepper5 and sodalime like this.