1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voice problems

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kawai10, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Over the past 2 months (since the beginning of December) I have been having voice problems.
    Lots
    of symptons but mainly that I keep losing my voice. Its now culminated
    in a second visit to the doctor last week who has said that I need to
    rest my voice completely for 2 weeks beforeshe refers me to ear nose
    & throat dept.
    The first week is half term and and so far
    im not seeing much improvement. The second week off would be te first
    week back after half term but my head is being quite difficult about it.
    She seems to think that I can come in and mime at the (primary)
    children to teach them.
    Is this reasonable and is she being fair?
    Does anyone have any experience of voice problems and trying to get time off like this?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated about this as I am getting quite worked up and stressed about it all
    Thanks!

2. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

I'm in Secondary, I've lost my voice a few times over the years, often with no pain whatsoever, and was told it was pharyngitis, not laryngitis. Anyway, I tried to carry on with lessons with minimum talk, working from the book etc (I'm MFL, so not always easy to do that), but in reality you just end up straining your voice, no matter how sympathetic the pupils are. I felt a fraud being at home feeling perfectly well, just voiceless, but there was no other option. You <u>cannot</u> "come in and mime at the children"!! Maybe your Head would like to try that herself as an experiement? Rest your voice completely means just that - whispering is apparently more damaging than trying to speak with a hoarse voice. If the doctor has said you need rest, then so be it - you could end up with vocal chord nodules etc which would be more serious in the long run.
    Cestrian

3. I tried to carry on when I should have been resting my voice and ended up having speach therapy every week for best part of a year. To be honest it never went back to normal.

4. becky70

becky70 New commenter

No. Go back to your doctor and explain what your head's up to because you need a sicknote. Then get on to your union. You could do permanent damage to your voice if you try to teach as it stands.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Frankly, your head is a fool. She is not being reasonable or fair. It is not possible to mime lessons, and I teach 11-18 year olds who tend to be quite understanding (and probably more so than little people). Whispering is one of the worst things that you can do, and with the best will in the world, I think you'd end up doing that.
    I do. I lost my voice after a TIA and ended up having a term off, an operation and speech therapy. My consultant was very clear that any further damage might well rule me out of teaching forever.
    Even now, if my voice goes wobbly, I take time off. We get one set of vocal cords, and although there ARE things that could be done to fix them, I don't much fancy possible 6 monthly injections of teflon just so that I can speak.
    My advice for the present is: get your doctor ro sign you off. You can't speak therefore you can't teach.
    Avoid caffeine, alcohol, spice and dairy. Drink pineapple juice. DON'T whisper and DON'T be tempted to use throat sweets or sprays.
    Good luck - I hope your voice comes back soon.

6. So lots of support thanks guys!
    How does it work with getting signed off then? Im in the fortunate position of never having experienced this before.
    Ive been told by dr to get 2 weeks rest without her 'signing me off.' Ive an appt with her t the end of next week which is too late for the start of term.
    However I will be seeing the nurse on Friday of half term to be tested for asthma, (not doing too well!) so would she be able to provide me with a sicknote?
    Thanks

7. Thanks guys, been back to dr today who has signed me off for 2 weeks from now. Got prescribed steroids as well.
    Rang
    head soon after who was fine with it, I suspect actually being signed
    off made the difference, I have heard somewhere that having a dr sign
    you off rather than self certifying makes the difference between whether
    or not the school can claim for money.
    Starting to feel that already and its still half term!

Anyway all sorted now thanks!

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I lost my voice in the summer holiday, saw the GP several times and then ended up missing the whole of the Autumn term. It was VERY strange to be off and well - I found myself avoiding going out in the day time because I felt guilty. After about a month, I realised I was being daft!