1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Voice problems.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kawai10, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Over the past 2 mothns (since the beginning of December) I have been having vocie problems.
    Lots of symptons but mainly that I keep losing my voice. Its now culminated in a second visit to the doctor last week who has said that I need to rest my voice completely for 2 weeks beforeshe refers me to ear nose & throat dept.
    The first week is half term and and so far im not seeing much improvement. The second week off would be te first week back after half term but my head is being quite difficult about it. She seems to think that I can come in and mime at the (primary) children to teach them.
    Is this reasonable and is she being fair?
    Does anyone have any experience of voice problems and trying to get time off like this?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated about this as I am getting quite worked up and stressed about it all
    Thanks!

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi kawai, firstly your HT has a duty of care to all her staff, secondly your doctor is the expert here and advice is:
    then if you are no better:
    no, you can't, as a singing teacher my advice is to rest your voice completely. Of course your HT doesn't want the inconvenience of having to find supply when you are off week 2 - but tough cookie! You will definitely need more time off if 2 weeks' rest doesn't help - which I'm sure will help if you don't whisper, talk, shout or mime - miming uses muscles despite no sound (hand signals and written notes are wonderful for getting what you want!!)
    On a general note, what a pity your HT wasn't more understanding as a little goodwill does so much good, whereas awkwardness like this is hard to forget about. Next time she wants a favour think hard about if she deserves you to co-operate after treating you like this. I'm lucky to have a wonderful HT and in return will go out of my way for the good of my school (as do most staff here), but I once had HT like yours and wasn't so keen to be so helpful.
    Hope that's been some help and STOP TALKING!! [​IMG]
    Joni x

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

presumably the doc will have given you a sick note, therefore you will not be allowed to work unless h / she says otherwise.
    HT is thnking only of the cost of supply I would say and not about staff welfare

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

OP maybe thought that she'd be better after one week so didn't require sick note as it was half-term?

5. langteacher

but the doc said rest it completely for two weeks

6. Thanks guys, been back to dr today who has signed me off for 2 weeks from now. Got prescribed steroids as well.
    Rang head soon after who was fine with it, I suspect actually being signed off made the difference, I have heard somewhere that having a dr sign you off rather than self certifying makes the difference between whether or not the school can claim for money.
    Anyway all sorted now thanks!

7. langteacher

That could well be true, I also thnk the length of time is an issue, I think insurance policies kick in after a certain length of time. Quite possible that the cheaper option kicks in when you have been off a bit longer but that is pure guesswork