1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vocational subjects and GCSE equivalence in Wales

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by mrs-jelly, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I've just seen the list of 70 vocational courses that will be counted as being equivalent to one
    GCSE from 2014. Will this apply to Wales too? Just wondering if anyone knows.

2. I read it here....
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2012/item_010.aspx
    Ok I see what you're saying, but surely courses like Salon Helper and Bramble Picker should be worth the same amount of GCSE's in England as in Wales don't you think?

3. I think that it's a problem if they aren't, but I don't know which way it should go; continue at the same value in England and Wales or be re-evaluated in both. Gove is just intent on moving the schools towards a more academic and less vocational outlook. He is saying that academic schools should be seen as having a higher value on the "league table" than non academic schools. Personally I didn't think that that was what educating in the best interests of the child was about. I think that we have been here before. I see no real way to improve and standardise examination and assessment unless we re-nationalise examination boards. Mind you, we are going in the same direction on league tables here in Wales; Banding is just a more sophisticated version with different faults.