1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vocabulary

Discussion in 'English' started by jorb, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jorb

jorb New commenter

I have suggested to a Yr11 parent that her daughter should read more to help widen her vocabulary range, but as her mother doesn't think that she has time for this she's asked for a vocabulary list! Does anyone have suggestions for where to access a good list of vocabulary to help prepare for language paper?

2. jorb

jorb New commenter

I have suggested to a Yr11 parent that her daughter should read more to help widen her vocabulary range, but as her mother doesn't think that she has time for this she's asked for a vocabulary list! Does anyone have suggestions for where to access a good list of vocabulary to help prepare for language paper?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If she doesn't have time to read (which would also provide an enjoyable leisure experience), how would she have the time to learn a vocabulary list (time-consuming & child may find 'boring') which she would then have to look up in a dictionary to discover the meaning & then find time to learn! ??

4. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

All the CGP books have a glossary at the back.

5. The dictionary! You can't get a longer list of words than that.

6. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Find her a book in the school library and say it's a really long list of vocabulary set into context to help with understanding.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Inspired!

8. One thing I have found really useful is to take a number of commonly used verbs, such as 'said' or 'walked' and get students to search a thesaurus for alternatives, to create a wordbank. The same can be done with 'nice', 'good' and 'bad'. Then, get the student to read through some of their own work, and think of where the new improved vocabulary could be used.
    As for vocabulary lists, there are many such lists on the internet aimed at ESL learners, but I doubt if there is a list for GCSE language. I have to agree with an earlier poster: that would be a dictionary!

9. You can't learn your native language like that. Maybe a vocabulary list would pull the wool over the eyes of a GCSE examiner, but I doubt it, and the exercise would have almost no educational value.
    She needs to turn off the telly, computer, iPod and games console, throw away her mobile phone, and start reading some quality literature.

10. I agree.
    I also believe that this student would benefit from reading,and if it were me, I would have the parent in again to discuss the real ways in which a student could prepare for IGCSE language. A list of vocabulary is not the suggestion that any English teacher I know would agree with.
    OP, can your HOD or the year leader help you with this parent?

11. jorb

jorb New commenter

Thanks everybody. You have all confirmed my concerns about the whole situation!