1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vocabulary- lists for each Primary year??

Discussion in 'English' started by sarah evans, Aug 28, 2012.

1. sarah evans

sarah evans New commenter

Hi all!

I'm looking to make a big push on vocabulary when we start back this term. Generally our teachers are great, really creative and they certainly do teach children to use new and ambitious vocab in their writing.....BUT....my only concern is that it's a little sporadic....It's hard to see if the vocab is progressing up the school as it seems to be taught on an 'as it comes up' basis (i.e. linked to whatever book/text/unit/topic they are working on at the time). I don't think it is really pre-considered or planned for.
    I think we need this (at least to a certain extent) to ensure the more able chn are challenged and that vocab does progress throughout the school.

So my plan was to introduce a Word of the Week (on top of the good 'in class/ad-hoc' work already being done with vocab).

Does anybody know whether lists are available anywhere of suggested vocab for each year group ??

I was planning to make it a more 'generic, mixed' list rather than vocab related to each classes' topics as vocab will come through for these topics (i.e. in relation to Space or The Vikings) anyway.

Of course I could write some but I think this would take a while! If not it might have to be a staff meeting where we all consider what would be appropriate for each year group.

Any ideas or links would be great!!

2. sarah evans

sarah evans New commenter

Hi all!

I'm looking to make a big push on vocabulary when we start back this term. Generally our teachers are great, really creative and they certainly do teach children to use new and ambitious vocab in their writing.....BUT....my only concern is that it's a little sporadic....It's hard to see if the vocab is progressing up the school as it seems to be taught on an 'as it comes up' basis (i.e. linked to whatever book/text/unit/topic they are working on at the time). I don't think it is really pre-considered or planned for.
    I think we need this (at least to a certain extent) to ensure the more able chn are challenged and that vocab does progress throughout the school.

So my plan was to introduce a Word of the Week (on top of the good 'in class/ad-hoc' work already being done with vocab).

Does anybody know whether lists are available anywhere of suggested vocab for each year group ??

I was planning to make it a more 'generic, mixed' list rather than vocab related to each classes' topics as vocab will come through for these topics (i.e. in relation to Space or The Vikings) anyway.

Of course I could write some but I think this would take a while! If not it might have to be a staff meeting where we all consider what would be appropriate for each year group.

Any ideas or links would be great!!