1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vocab test app/website for teachers and students?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mozzyriproar, May 10, 2017.

1. mozzyriproar

mozzyriproar New commenter

Hi,

I regularly set learning HWKs for my classes. The following lesson, there will be vocab test for the class. So, 20 words - 10 in French, 10 in English - and pupils put the equivalent.

I either get the pupils to mark them (they sometimes cheat) or or I mark them myself (takes time).

Are you aware of an app that pupils could log onto via their phones and complete a vocab test? it would mark their answers and immediately give me the results?

Thank you

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I can't remember what it's called but there's one that we were shown with QR codes. The children have got a sheet with QR codes that they hold up and you scan the room with your phone and it shows immediately on the screen who's right.

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Quia website has this as an authoring tool - but it's a subscription website. You can have a free trial though, if I remember correctly. Not a really snazzy appearance though.

4. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Quizzlet? Moodle?

5. mozzyriproar

mozzyriproar New commenter

Thank you for replying. I'll look up these websites.

6. jusch12

jusch12 New commenter

I think what you are looking for is socrative.com. You can either ask questions on the go or you can prepare them in advance and if you type in the correct answers in advance it will mark it straight away and give the students feedback. You can see student responses while the quiz is going on so you know when they have finished and how they are doing and you can download it as a spread sheet afterwards.
    I haven't set vocab tests for a while, instead I have been checking memrise.com every week to see if students have got a certain amount of points. But looking at socrative again, I am thinking I might use that for a vocab test myself, it has got much better than when I last used it. Thanks for reminding me to try it out again!

7. melmason517

melmason517 New commenter

That sounds like plickers. Each student has a unique code, and they can hold it up 4 different ways for A, B, C or D. My students really enjoy it! I love Plickers but never even thought of using it as a vocab quiz!

8. Nabourke

Nabourke New commenter

We use Quizlet and Memrise for all vocab learning. Both can be used for free. Quizlet allows really easy authoring and if you pay the $16 for a teacher account you can see what each student has done on there, along with percentages / scores etc. Great for informing planning of future lessons and for seeing who's done their homework. We've embedded it completely into the curriculum and talked to parents about it, so they can support us with homework! It's working really well so far! They also love Quizlet Live when we're in the computer room!