1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE's........which one to go for...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by KazIT, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Good Evening!

We are currently investigating different VLE's to replace the current uniservity clc one that we have as the contract is due to finish in August.

Suggestions that we have had are:
    Life
    Moodle
    Frog
    Fronter
    Sims Learning Gateway
    OpenHive

I was just wondering if anyone has any comments on any of the above...I did have a sandpit login for Life when they started promoting but that appears to have expired!

I would be grateful of any comments,
    Thank you
    Kaz [​IMG]

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

If you buy a product in does it get funded? If you go with Moodle does it get the same funding?

SIMs Learning Gateway is not a VLE by any measure I can see. It could be used as a CMS at a stretch.
    For my money from the list you've got it's Frog v Moodle. However have a look at SmartAssess http://www.smartassess.com/ as this has a lot to recommend it.
    IF you're willing to put the money into supporting it then Moodle is better than Frog but go with a Moodle/Mahara integrated system as Mahara has so many elements that make Moodle that much better.
    HTH

3. We have both Frog and Moodle.
    Both do certain jobs well and other jobs not so well. But if I had to choose I would say use the money it would cost to have Frog to spend on using/training staff to use Moodle.

4. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

At the moment, I'd recommend:
    Moodle.Not perfect, but value for money. Requires some getting used to and training.
    Frog if you have money to burn.
    Others...forget them.
    Be extremely cautious of commercial companies after your money and offer a poor service - look for a proven supplier based on your own research, not just what's put in front of you.
    Also make sure that it has a valuable purpose and that there is capacity to operate it, otherwise it is all a complete waste of time and money.

5. BlackBoard (BbLearn) without a doubt...but depends on your budget. This is a proven K12 VLE in the US and at least 65% of UK universities use it.....proven track record...billions on r&d...
    this product will last you much longer than these other VLEs...

www.blackboard.com

6. Edmodo.

7. Frog...it works very well as a VLE, not cheap but worth it