1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLEs Virtual Learning Environments

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by crusader62, Nov 13, 2016.

1. crusader62

crusader62 New commenter

My experience of VLEs is that it is a challenge to get learners to engage in using them. A big part of the problem in the first place is to get teaching staff and tutors to embrace them and use them.
    I myself have used two VLEs previously in my role. I have to say that I am a great supporter of them and have used them to the best of my ability in the past. A drawback to them being used can be the cost of them to the learning provider, and unless all staff are embracing and utilising this technology in their teaching and learning then some organisations, with financial budgets being very tight, may see this as a not viable resource.
    I have recently started working at a training organisation where they used to subscribe to a VLE, however due to a lack of people using it they have decided to let it go. There are plans in future to look at an add-on to the E-portfolio.
    What I would like to ask is what experiences of VLEs other members of TES have? Would you recommend any VLEs ?
    And are there any personal VLEs out there that a teacher could take ownership of?
    I put an abundance of resources, extension tasks, learning links, and time and effort into developing the VLE at my previous job. Now unfortunately I will not have access to all of these resources that I developed. If there was a personal VLE that teachers could use and share out there that would be great to know about.
    I welcome any comments , shared experiences and idea.
    Dave

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Moodle

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Google Classrooms is free for educational establishments and can act as a very good VLE. Else Moodle, which is used by a lot of places and has a lot of advice and support available online.

crusader62 and wanet like this.