1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLEs/MLEs/Fronter in the Early Years - What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JCR, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JCR

JCR

Hi all.
    I'm currently doing a research project looking at the ways ICT and VLE/MLEs can enhance learning. As such, I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on their successes and/or failures with using a system such as Fronter to provide your class with an online classroom that they can access at home. (I am focussing on Fronter because that's the system in place in my setting.)
    Do you think they are a good idea for use in the early years (in particular, Reception)? How do you use your online classroom if you have one? How do you promote it to the parents/children? How often do you update it? How easy do you find it to use? Do you encourage its use by making it part of homework? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such systems? How do you think they can be used to enhance learning, or do you think they don't? Do you have any other thoughts on their use and existence, etc?
    Finally, if you do take the time to share some thoughts/comments on this topic, I'd like to thank you for your time. Also, please note that by adding a reply, you will be seen as having given your consent for me to quote, and refer to, your comments posted in this thread, which will be seen by my Unit tutors and Moderators.
    Thank you.
    Jennifer.

2. JCR

JCR

Hi all.
    I'm currently doing a research project looking at the ways ICT and VLE/MLEs can enhance learning. As such, I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on their successes and/or failures with using a system such as Fronter to provide your class with an online classroom that they can access at home. (I am focussing on Fronter because that's the system in place in my setting.)
    Do you think they are a good idea for use in the early years (in particular, Reception)? How do you use your online classroom if you have one? How do you promote it to the parents/children? How often do you update it? How easy do you find it to use? Do you encourage its use by making it part of homework? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such systems? How do you think they can be used to enhance learning, or do you think they don't? Do you have any other thoughts on their use and existence, etc?
    Finally, if you do take the time to share some thoughts/comments on this topic, I'd like to thank you for your time. Also, please note that by adding a reply, you will be seen as having given your consent for me to quote, and refer to, your comments posted in this thread, which will be seen by my Unit tutors and Moderators.
    Thank you.
    Jennifer.

3. My school used fronter this year, launching it to the children and parents in march.

Two days later they realised that the children could send private messages to each other and use it a bit like a social network site. Children as young as six were arranging to be on fronter at the same time in the evening to chat to each other.

As there is no way to track what is being said in these private messages, the school have decided this is unacceptable for such young children and scrapped the whole thing

We now just use it as a staff room to upload and share planning and resources

4. Hello Doodlem
    I appreciate your concerns regarding private messages in Fronter, but I felt I had to respond as Fronter is an extremely flexible platform designed for all types of users. If your school felt that private messaging was inappropriate for your young learners then the messaging feature could have been switched off for the pupils allowing you to continue to use the rooms and learning tools on the platform which would be invaluable to them.
    Fronter has a messaging system specifically designed for younger users that you may not be aware of.
    If your school needs help in setting up Fronter to address your needs and continue benefitting the pupils as well as the staff then please ask your school Fronter administrator to contact our support team and we would be happy to help.
    Posted by a Fronter trainer (my personal TES login)