1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ashunthapereira, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Students use more facebook than VLE ?

2. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Well, it's obviously a question because there's a question mark. But what is the question? Do students use Facebook more than a VLE? I'd think so, purely because Facebook is a social tool rather than a method of accessing school work.
    I'm lost. Wibble.

3. A lot of kids are on facebook all the time they're on a computer and have at least one IM client running. If they run iOS or Android they probably have it receiving status updates all the time as well.

Given that the two server pretty different purposes I'm not sure of the need for a comparison although I'm pretty sure the people behind the VLE don't flog personal info from it to advertisers.

4. The question should be "Do students use more facebook than VLE ? "

5. 99% likely yes.

6. This is a joke, yes? Unless you've created a VLE app for your students phones then they're only constantly connected to one of the two technologies......

7. Plus, as was said above, Facebook = social interaction for fun. VLE = school work. There may be some social aspects built in, or not depending on platform and setup. With all the social aspects in the world though, if I were 13 I know where I would rather spend my time... (probably on my push bike, out building tarzies and annoying the old fella down the road who never did give me that ball back)

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Why are we even bothering to answer the OP, I mean what is the point of the question?

9. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Being picky (well, we are teachers), the question should strictly be;
    Do students use Facebook more than a VLE?
    The answer is always going to be yes. Facebook is a common social medium program, whereas VLEs are not social, and are not common. To paraphrase 'The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy';
    Population of the Universe = 0
    Where you have an infinite amount of planets, of which only a finite number will be populated, everyone knows that anything divided by infinity = 0. So anyone you meet is a product of your own warped imagination.

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

[Pedantic H2G2 Fan Mode ON]
    [/Pendantry] (for now)

11. colwynexile

12. colwynexile

So shocked I forgot to add post.
    The PC was so shocked, it wouldn't accept the edit
    Oh COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its been 20 years since I read the book. Flipping H2G2 fans, worse than flipping star terk fans sometimes.
    Now, Babylon 5!!! - That was a proper serial; action, gritty realism, without any of the future-techno-babble to fire the synapses of the futurologist geeks.

13. colwynexile

and of course that should be Star Trek,
    better change it before some pseudo-klingon goes phtat kwark (or whatever) on me
    (chortle [​IMG])