1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE or School Website?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flyndal, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Do you Use your VLE as your School Website too or do you keep them both separate?

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We have both, although the logon space for the VLE is displayed on the homepage. VLE obviously for staff/pupils/parents and website to give general information to parents and prospective parents/staff alike.

3. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

We use Kaleidos and have begun to make areas of it public for use as our school website. We find it helpful because our site was very out of date before, and this way every teacher has responsibility for maintaining part of it. It also gives teachers and parents a reason to check the VLE as they click links on the school website that they have to log in for.

4. We've gradually been integrating our VLE with our website. We've kept the front page of the website and a few others...but have gradually started to build up the amount of VLE pages. What I've found is that it's allowed much greater delegation - the office can run their own public pages, the PTA theirs - we've even got the children running a pretty large portion of it.

I'm not sure if I'd want to get rid of the entire old website - there are limitations with the VLE - it's a pretty new platform, with quite a few teething problems, and it's nice to have the flexibility of 'portal' front page - just in case the VLE goes down, you can still broadcast important messages.

Take a look if you like: www.bpspschool.co.uk

5. I love your website, partuclarly the webzine. Please let me know how you organise the children into doing the videos, what programs do you use, who uploads them and so on. We are in the process of updating both VLE and website, and need some excellent ideas like this to inspire us.

Thanks.

6. Hey!

Glad you like the website. I'm in the process of redesigning the frontpage
    actually - probably going to run with the following design:

http://www.bpspschool.co.uk/newindex8.html

As for the webZine idea - I've just restarted the club for this year.
    Basically - we've got a really huge school (650 kids and getting larger!), so I
    do a competitive entry process, where they write a short article. It's more a
    way of insuring you get some committed kids that aren't afraid to put in some
    effort.

I've invited 20 kids to the club, and then basically have them working in
    pairs on different pairs on various assignments that last a couple of
    weeks.

As for the software...we use the South West Grid For Learning's 'Merlin'
    platform for our VLE. It's OK. Pretty difficult to get to grips with, but once
    the kids have had some practice it's a little easier.

As for the filming...I've been using flip video cameras for the filming, and
    then we use Corel Video Studio X3 pro for the editing. It's a pretty intuitive
    bit of kit - kids find it very easy to use. Managed to pay for it through a
    harnessing technology grant last year.

As for the hosting of the video, I've been using a Pro Account with
    Vimeo.com. It's pretty good - not without it's faults, but it's the best I've
    found so far.

The really important thing is to get a comprehensive list of permissions for
    using the images of the kids. I've found an 'opt out' policy works wonders - we
    tend to get 5-10 kids per year group who are on an omissions list. I just do a
    mug shot sheet with names and the club kids know not to film them.

It's hectic, time consuming - but really rewarding. Drop me a line if you'd
    like any more info!

jon

7. Have now actually gone with that design! Can be viewed here:

www.bpspschool.co.uk