1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE Learning platform

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Kenny9, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Kenny9

Kenny9 New commenter

We have a VLE learning platform that is not used by staff and to be honest I.T. skills among the staff aren't great.
    I was thinking of suspending it for a year and paying a penalty to get out of the contract, my question is do we have to have a VLE ?
    We are also expecting an Ofsted inspection in the next 12 months.
    Thanks for your help

2. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Have you considered using the penalty money to instead buy in some consultancy training on just using one aspect of your VLE? (obviously this would depend on what system you use) that way even basic use will show ofsted that your staff do have some skills, which would no doubt only be a positive thing as far as ofsted is concerned!

3. How big is your school?
    Is it primary or secondary?
    Is there anyone on the staff who might take on the role of driving improvements through? They may be more interested if a sum of money/ freed hours are given over to it.

4. Ofsted have got nothing to do with it really. Do whatever you think meets the needs of the pupils best. Inspection will investigate just that, how well the curriculum meets the needs of pupils. If it does this well without a VLE, then fine.
    It might be best to keep it, as one poster has said, then use some 'pathfinder' staff (hate that term!) to put some materials up on the VLE. Choose staff who are really up for helping out others, not necessarily those who are good at IT. Before long, others that are watching and listening to what is happening will start to follow suit. Last of all, the really reluctant staff will join in. I did exactly the same with Moodle. It took 2 years for all the staff to use it though.