1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE in a Special School - anyone?!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by leeds28, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Our county has just withdrawn the VLE they insisted everyone use (Fronter I think) and has left us with a choice between Google Apps (not really appropriate for my school from what I have seen) or bog off and do it yourself (I think that is the plan - can't really get much sense out of anyone)
    Is there anyone in a special school using a VLE successfully? Is anyone anywhere using a VLE successfully?!
    Would be really grateful to read about any experiences, positive or negative.

2. Our county has just withdrawn the VLE they insisted everyone use (Fronter I think) and has left us with a choice between Google Apps (not really appropriate for my school from what I have seen) or bog off and do it yourself (I think that is the plan - can't really get much sense out of anyone)
    Is there anyone in a special school using a VLE successfully? Is anyone anywhere using a VLE successfully?!
    Would be really grateful to read about any experiences, positive or negative.

3. I worked in a school for a long time and it's probably true to say Moodle is the most popular diy VLE. It's open source and free so it's worth a look.

Although open source software is often free the cost in using something like Moodle is your time and learning about how websites/online databases work. However, I have several websites with hostgator and they have a feature were you can install Moodle on your new website by clicking a few buttons. You could be talking about £50 a year for a hostgator site which is nothing really.

I'm also wondering as you mentioned Google Apps if you are really needing a VLE? It may be that a centralized folder of all your files and resources is all you need. I think a healthy folder full of shared resources can be much better than an unhealthy VLE with no content in it :)

Chris Matchett

4. I used Key2schools free Moodle site for personal Moodle for a couple of years, then they started wanting to charge for it in the last 12 months or so. It would still have been cheap but they may or may not still be offering it free..... see their website http://www.keytoschool.com/ The only reason I didn't stick with it was our own school Moodle was set up and working well by then.
    Another that came up when I googled keytoschool is coursesites.com which offers a free vle system using Blackboard. I've never used blackboard but I believe it is popular with FE & universities.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

It's *used* in FE and HE but it is most definitely NOT popular! Cumbersome and clunky at best.
    Many use Moodle now instead or as well as BB: Oxford, York, UCL, SHU, etc

6. Thanks for your replies.
    I think I was a little bit in dream land to think there would be an 'off the peg' solution. Many pupils in my school would not be able to log on in a conventional way, and a Moodle style option would be time consuming to the person running it (i.e me)
    I suppose if there was a VLE tailored for Special schools, we would all be using it!

7. Hi
    I use Moodle in an SEN school for learning and behavioural difficulties. We've had good experiences and built it up over the last five years or so.
    The school system is closed so I can't let you look, but I have a little website based on Moodle elsewhere. http://manxman.ch/moodle2
    You can get my personal mail via that site too if you want to ask any questions. Be glad to help.
    Regards