1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE Ideas

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by MrCatMan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, I have never posted in the TES Forums before but they always seem to be really popular with a wealth of information.

My school has just started using the the LIFE CLOUD VLE and so far is proving popular with the children in my class. As ICT guy I am expected to model mine to show what it is capable of doing but am struggling to think of purposeful ideas. What kind of things do you put on your VLE to aid lit, num etc? I have done some uplevelling activities and number sequence activities. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Hi everyone, I have never posted in the TES Forums before but they always seem to be really popular with a wealth of information.

My school has just started using the the LIFE CLOUD VLE and so far is proving popular with the children in my class. As ICT guy I am expected to model mine to show what it is capable of doing but am struggling to think of purposeful ideas. What kind of things do you put on your VLE to aid lit, num etc? I have done some uplevelling activities and number sequence activities. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Our VLE is pretty well embedded across the school (pupils aged 4-11) with most staff reasonably confident about adding content. Here are some ideas:
    • Permanent links to frequently-used educational websites (MyMaths, Education City etc) on the front page. Also links to and information about schools overseas;
    • Temporary links to huge numbers of websites associated with each year's topic including silly games, real texts (e.g. biographies), museums and galleries.
    • Embedded content such as videos from Youtube or similar (with obvious restrictions), also BBC KS1+2 resources, also iplayer and Class Clips.
    • Photos, slideshows, videos and sound files to show what children have been doing in lessons;
    • Folders for children to save homework to print off / share in school. Also homework printable sheets, some of which is optional.
    • Reminders, news, copies of spellings and other information for parents, including electronic copy of the school calendar.
    • Suggested reading lists for reluctant readers, and pupils' book reviews and links to authors' websites. Featured authors on front page with links and extracts.
    • Polls/surveys - always popular! Get the kids to make these - great for data handling.
    • Quizzes (self-marking) to assess pupils - these work especially well when used in an Internet Treasure Hunt way, putting links with the questions to check they are reading the websites they visit, and not just looking at the pictures!
    • Collaborative working areas for pupils to make their own content - very motivating. Some pupils last year co-wrote stories and information texts on stuff that interested them.
    • Whole-school courses for school council, library, behaviour, playtimes etc, including discussion threads for different year groups to share ideas;
    • A course to enable our older pupils to answer younger pupils' questions about the residential visit - couldn't have had better advertising!
    • RSS feeds including BBC Newsround, BBC weather, G+T Maths challenges, National Geographic for Kids, USGS earthquake watch etc. These save a LOT of time, as they update automatically.
    • Loads of widgets to play with - clocks, countdowns, interactive characters and scenes... Things to make people smile!
    • Plenty of advice and printable resources concerning e-safety, especially important if messaging is allowed.
    Hope some of that helps.

4. Thanks for all that. I like the sound of the RSS feed for Maths, I have already got one for Newsround. What site is that from?

5. Grandsire

Have a look at nrich.maths.org!

6. Hello Grandsire. I too have been given the job of putting content onto my school's VLE. I like the ideas which directly involve the children, especially the Treasure Hunt. How long did it take for your VLE to become embedded across the school? Is it possible to have a look at your VLE online? Thanks.

7. Grandsire

Hi,
    Ooh - no - not a good idea. You can't possibly do it all on your own - there aren't enough hours in the day! Although I still put stuff on for other year groups when I chance across good stuff on the internet, and am responsible for keeping the whole-school areas looking fresh, you should definitely start by organising lots of staff-training events and get them to add the content themselves as part of the training. Include the TAs and office staff, too, and give them responsibilities for adding or updating content.
    I guess it's taken about two years to get off the ground. I aimed for 50% staff take-up, accepting that it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's needed lots of enthusiasm, and in some cases endless nagging (and when that failed, putting stuff on myself to entice the children into using it and start nagging their teachers for more). Pupil expectation and parent feedback, plus a little pressure from the SMT is gradually doing the rest.
    Sorry - no access - our VLE is very tightly locked down. What provider are you using?