1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VLE and Boardworks

Discussion in 'Science' started by teachsci1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I am in the process of developing the Science VLE. I have been told that students must have access to the curriculum from home if they are absent from school and teachers seem to be planning on uploading schemes of work and powerpoints to the VLE. First, has anyone else come across this 'law'? A google search returned nothing...

Secondly, I think it is entierly pointless so if our school is going to go down that route I want a quick fix for KS3. Does anyone know if it would be OK to upload the Boardworks powerpoints? Or is that breaching copyright?

2. I am in the process of developing the Science VLE. I have been told that students must have access to the curriculum from home if they are absent from school and teachers seem to be planning on uploading schemes of work and powerpoints to the VLE. First, has anyone else come across this 'law'? A google search returned nothing...

Secondly, I think it is entierly pointless so if our school is going to go down that route I want a quick fix for KS3. Does anyone know if it would be OK to upload the Boardworks powerpoints? Or is that breaching copyright?

3. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

What if they dont have the internet at home? surely this cannot be a law...

4. One of many flaws I think...

5. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

I not certain about whether uploading Boardworks is breaching copyright but they do sell versions suitable for the VLE, so instinct says it probably is.

We had a big push with the VLE at our school a couple of years ago, and then it's fallen out of use - big problem is the kids remembering their passwords and usernames. When it's done well it's great, you must work in a very good school though if the pupils will access work from home when off school!

6. Law or not, thats the point of a VLE.

Putting Boardworks on there may well impinge on copyright, as stated above. However, your staff must produce their own resources?

I have Ppts for all KS4, along with revision notes and other materials. They will go up on ours. Along with access to past papers.

For KS3, we have a bought in scheme of work, which will go on there too, with a bunch of homeworks which will be set through the year. Thus they have access to the curriculum. Oh, and the textbook.

Hence, the point of the VLE is to allow access to the curriculum from home. If they dont have the internet, thats another issue, but you are doing everything you can to help.

7. Orion

Orion New commenter

It is not law just guidance from BECTA which now does not exist.
    If you are not sure about boardworks ring them up and check on the terms and conditions, easy!

But I think it is a breach and you need myworks.

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

This is just my opinion but for what it's worth... I don't believe that boardworks is good enough for children to access on their own without some extra input of some kind.