1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vladimir Putin tells Theresa May to 'fulfil will of people' on Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Just in case we had any doubt on the issue . . .

Vladimir Putin tells Theresa May to 'fulfil will of people' on Brexit

Vladimir Putin has said the UK should not hold a second referendum on Brexit, insisting Theresa May must “fulfil the will of the people”.

Offering public support that the embattled British prime minister may rather do without, Putin said he “understood” May’s position in “fighting for this Brexit”.

“The referendum was held,” the Russian president said from Moscow during a press conference shown on national television. “What can she do? She has to fulfil the will of the people expressed in the referendum.”

Russia is seen as a possible beneficiary of the UK’s exit from the EU, and a prominent financial backer of the leave campaign met Russian embassy officials repeatedly during the run-up to the referendum in June 2016.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That Russia is more invested in democracy in the UK than the moaning Remain side?

I know.. it's shocking...

3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Putin should keep his nose out of our affairs. Really do despise this man. He’s a stupid man.

Ivartheboneless and FrankWolley like this.
  4. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Oh well... that sets my mind at rest. If Vlad thinks its a good idea it must be good for us.

JL48 and sparkleghirl like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

JL48 likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Putin? That risen star of the KGB who has just rigged an election, has invaded neighbouring states, encouraged murder of his citizens and is a close ally of some of the worlds despots - that Putin?

Laphroig, JL48 and monicabilongame like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So what would you call people who chased an MP down the road shouting 'traitor' & 'Hitler' at her, then?

Maybe I should just say 'Brexit supporters' as we all know what that really means...;)

JL48 and monicabilongame like this.
  9. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

Well done Vladimir Putin, he is right on this.

But please, no more Novichok on our streets, it's nasty stuff.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Putin, who jails & intimidates any opposition to his leadership?
    Telling our leader to fulfil the will of the people who were given a democratic choice?
    Same breath?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

monicabilongame and colpee like this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ooh ooh @red_observer just called Putin a stupid man! What's the male equivalent of mysoginist? Or maybe he mouthed 'stupid people'? Somebody get a lip reader and some tabloid hacks! Scandal! :)

Actually I think Putin is a very clever man who's been using social media to right royally screw over democracies - credit where it's due for exploiting a niche. I just think he's worried that all the money and troll bunker wages he invested in the Leave campaign might be going to waste.

12. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Such people are indeed uncultured yobs, but that does not represent ALL Brexit supporters, some of whom I assume have a mature and thought out case for their position.

True democracy, and a truly democratic process involves debate - ie listening to each other's arguments and trying to persuade others to your point of view, and that can't happen amid acrimony and name-calling. In the end, absent a consensus, a vote is taken and the majority rules. So far in this country we have had no civilised debate. No one has properly put the case for remain (Cameron I'm looking at YOU) and no-one has put the case for exit beyond a bunch of lies and xenophobic rabble-rousing that (sadly) mobilised the darker side of our population to deliver the 48/52 outcome.

And on this result (if it is allowed to stand) rests our future prosperity and well-being?...

I've asked this elsewhere and have yet to get a reasoned response:
    In what way will Brexit benefit the United Kingdom? What problem for the UK does Brexit solve?

chelsea2 likes this.
  13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Agreed, although perhaps the adjectives cunning, sly, scheming and devious would be more les mots justes.

14. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Yes agree with you!

15. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

Surely you have to take it as well as give it out. I personally try to avoid calling remainers 'traitors', 'enemies of the people' etc. yet I have been branded thick, and xenophobic and stuff, just because I chose Brexit and I'm fearful that it will never happen.

16. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Oh yes, forgot the obvious one: "ruthless".

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It goes both ways. After more than 35 years living a quiet life in the UK,I don't really appreciate being rebranded as a "queue jumping migrant".

As for "the will of the people",it would have helped if "the people" actually had a plan and knew what they were doing.

InkyP and dleaf12 like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Oh no, which remainer paid him? We leave voters have Blair getting us tons more votes just because of being Blair and ordering us all to think again.

Unfair if they finally worked that out.

Bit late, mind.....

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I hope that your tongue is firmly in your cheek when you say this.
    Far from it - sadly.
    and you claim to love democracy
    yes - be nice and obsequious to the man that organised a chemical weapon attack on British streets.
    Quisling.

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Maybe Putin will now take the credit for influencing the vote in favour of Brexit. He might as well, as its pretty obvious he did. Come on Vlad, spill the beans.