1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Viv Westwood thinks people look ugly in their clothes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Feb 20, 2012.

1. I was going to say Vivienne Westwood devotees but it amounts to the same thing.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

HBC always looks to me as if she needs a bath and some delousing.

3. That's a bit harsh.
    She hasn't been near Kenneth Branagh for a considerable amount of time.

4. Her dress sense does appear to have gone for a burton.

5. I presume that's Tim in the photo with her? Talk about nepotism....as long as he makes films, she'll always have a starring role.
    Back to Westwood though...I used to think her strange, but as someone says, I saw her interviewed and she talked a lot of sense and didn't seem to have a huge ego either...I quite warmed to her, although I think some of her clothes are strange...and the models in that pic....earlier....look like zombies. Talk about death warmed up.
    Westwood is designing the coat the giant puppet of Lady Godiva will wear as she rides down to London on her mechanical 'cyclops' (driven by 50 cyclists) to London for the opening of the Olympic games. I can't wait to see that!
    Oh and back to soaps. One of the best things about the shopping scrum that is TK Max is they sell lots of oddments of prettily wrapped or boxed soaps. I tend not to use bars of soap now, but have lots of beautifully wrapped soaps which smell divine. It almost seems a shame to ever use them. I leave them in drawers...(I think I am attracted to soap packaging in the same way I am attracted to gorgeous writing paper and envelopes....more things I don't use much of these days!)

6. I think she looks lovely. When you have a beautiful face, you can get away with making a statement. Loving the tartan.

7. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Spot the odd one(s) out:
    [​IMG]
    Helena BC looks relatively normal in comparison
    I think the tartan outfit looks better from the side view - it has a Victorian/ Edwardian type "bustle"
    ,while the Queen seems to have forgotten to take her overall off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The weirdly but elaborately dressed men in the background have a far more decadent clothing choice.

8. It is rather lovely. The heels are astonishing, though.

9. Aren't they just. I rather like them but, unfortunately, my back wouldn't.
    I quite like the tartan outfit.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What statement is she making?

11. I dread to think.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

"I've brought my pet rat to the palace. I keep it under my hat"

13. That she is a woman with style.

14. Great line, Nutella.

15. Perhaps some of you prefer the Queens's "overall". ( Now that was amusing, Moonpenny! )

16. I went to a wedding where the mother of the bride (a woman in her late fifites) was wearing a Vivienne Westwood suit - she looked amazing (in a good way)
    The suit was so well structured, and super-flattering, certainly not OTT. I like Westwood's less avant-garde stuff.

17. I don't think you can go wrong with Asda £6.00 black trousers and some nice tops from Matalan.

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

For me,it isn't about one piece of clothing but about the whole cultural significance of Westwood on modern culture.she took her early influences from punk and eventually it filtered down to mainstream - i.e. Me when I had spikey hair and wore a long skirt held together with the fasteners you have on basques.I also like the fact that a working class pensioner says "fu.ck it" to the world and does away with elderly stereotypes by wearing and looking exactly how she wants to. I think we need more of that in this world.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think a lot of working class pensioners say 'eff it' and do their own thing. I know I do.