1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Viv Westwood thinks people look ugly in their clothes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Was it like circle time then????

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Ooh - I've just had a Proustian moment reading this.
    Camay! I'd forgotten its very existence!
    I've been transported back to the eastend, circa 1964, with my mother diligently saving her Camay wrappers in order to be able to claim her "mink" broach.

3. smoothnewt

You can rely on CQ to arrive and turn a thread into car crash viewing.
    I know I should avert my eye and read on without passing comment, but it's like an itch you have to scratch!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I hope you haven't been nibbling any of those leftover slivers of soap!

5. smoothnewt

I was reading an article about that only yesterday. Poor old Vicky B moaning about how people should understand why she looks so miserable - it's just so hard being a fashion designer up against a deadline. She has to make ends meet - after all £165 million in the bank is not really enough to enable you to to say "ah sod it" and just enjoy motherhood. My heart bleeds. And yes, her clothes are just ideal for dull stick insects really, there's no more to be said on that matter.

6. smoothnewt

It's more the smell, the smoothness of the soap and the image of the packaging in this instance.

7. smoothnewt

That's a weird coincidence actually, as I just read an essay on pica before leaving work this afternoon.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was only teasing. I know how evocative the smell of soap is. My grandmother used to wash my face with Wright's coal tar soap when I was little and whenever I smell it now I am reminded of her. Mind it doesn't smell the same as it used to but it still has a hint of those far off days. It has now reminded me how we used to be taken out to stand round any tar braziers that workmen in the street had on the go; my father believed it was good for us to inhale the steam.

9. smoothnewt

[​IMG]
    I love it how, sometimes, we have such direct connections with such bygone days.
    I think we must have fallen on harder times in the late 60's / early 70's (possibly on account of the fact that my father was on strike a lot, fighting the closures of the London Docks) as the Camay was replaced with great green bars of Fairy Household Soap. [​IMG]

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Did you have Palmolive? This was a joke I was told at primary school: Q. What did the red soap say to the green soap and what did the green soap answer? A. May I hold your palm, Olive? Not on your life, boy!

11. smoothnewt

[​IMG]
    That does actually ring a bell.
    Palmolive - I could only dream of such sophistication in the early 70's...
    (It was the general sense of deprivation that made me appreciate that education was undoubtedly the only escape from a life of Fairy Household Soap, liver sausage sandwiches, oil heaters in the kitchen and hand-me-down underwear.)
    [​IMG]

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The thing about Imperial Leather is that the soap doesn't wear away evenly because the foil label prevents it. If you try to do the trick I mentioned earlier about the everlasting bar of soap, it doesn't work more than once.

13. Doesn't anyone remember Cussons Imperial Leather?. ......... with the paper label in the middle ........The soap used to wear away around the label.

14. modelmaker

Beecha!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They still sell it but I always take off the label. I buy it for my son, to dissuade him from using my special soap.

16. modelmaker

I am begining to wonder whether my sweetheart has a stash of soap she hides from me. I wouldn't put it past her. She bought me a box of chocolates for Valentines Day but when I went to eat one, they were virtually all gone. She claimed the dog had eaten them and as she is once again dieting, she couldn't possibly be guilty.
    Yeah.
    If she'd wasted her money on something like real ale I might have been tempted to believe her. It's possible I might get a handbag or a pair of stiletto healed shoes for my birthday. It was a nice gesture to be told the chocolates were for me though.

17. Look at what flippin' Helena Bonham Carter wore to get her CBE.
    I'm so outraged by that hat I could spit!
    [​IMG]

18. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

What a fine pair they make!

19. What do they make a fine pair of, though?
    That's the question.

20. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter