1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vitamin tablets?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by giggles_88, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Just wondering how many of you take vitamins. Growing up I was always told that if you ate a good, healthy, balanced diet you would not need vitamin tablets. I work in the infants and I am forever picking up colds and bugs and I am always exhausted....I remember one of my placement head teachers giving me advice when I got my first job and one thing she said was take vitamins..............good or bad advice?

2. Just wondering how many of you take vitamins. Growing up I was always told that if you ate a good, healthy, balanced diet you would not need vitamin tablets. I work in the infants and I am forever picking up colds and bugs and I am always exhausted....I remember one of my placement head teachers giving me advice when I got my first job and one thing she said was take vitamins..............good or bad advice?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pointless advice.
    The advice you were given when you were growing up is the correct advice.
    Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg, wholegrains, meat, fish and dairy and you'll get more than enough vitamins and minerals.
    You are exhausted because working with infants is exhausting. You pick up bugs because they bring in lots of different bugs and you sre liable to pick up any/all of these. It's just as bad in secondary, but you don't see the same kids all day so don't always notice the snots.
    Don't waste your money on vitamins..................buy fruit!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would agree with Belle's advice. I have been eating more fruit and vegetables recently and have never been as healthy.
    Get out in the fresh air at the weekend too. I usually do at least an hour's walking on each day of the weekend and I feel grotty when I miss it. Even if it looks grey and horrible through the window it is much more pleasant when you are outside.
    I can lend you a dog if you want company [​IMG]!

5. Thanks for both the comments [​IMG] I think I will take you up on the getting out in fresh air advice. All the exercise I do is indoors (swimming etc) and although I hate the cold I probably would feel better (once I'm back in the warm that is!)