1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vitamin D deficiency

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Apr 19, 2012.

1. My GP phoned today following months of investigations and blood tests into my weird symptoms, which turned out to be due to raised parathyroid levels. They have now found I am severely deficient in Vitamin D! This could explain some or maybe all of my health problems. I do have vitiligo and was advised a few years ago to keep out of the sun. This advice may have resulted in my deficiency. I've now been told to take a supplement and to go out in the sun a lot more! My GP said she will re test my parathyroid levels again after a few months on the supplements to see if indeed my calcium levels return to normal. Fascinating stuff!

2. My GP phoned today following months of investigations and blood tests into my weird symptoms, which turned out to be due to raised parathyroid levels. They have now found I am severely deficient in Vitamin D! This could explain some or maybe all of my health problems. I do have vitiligo and was advised a few years ago to keep out of the sun. This advice may have resulted in my deficiency. I've now been told to take a supplement and to go out in the sun a lot more! My GP said she will re test my parathyroid levels again after a few months on the supplements to see if indeed my calcium levels return to normal. Fascinating stuff!

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Oh Mrs. Mo - at least now you can happily go on holiday, slap on the SPF 50 and feel wonderful!! Seriously, I have always taken a Vit D supplement as in the far north we get so little sun. It is light more in May - August but <strike>not always </strike>rarely sunny and the winter months are dismal.
    Hope you will feel better and keep well.

4. Oh dear ... I've just been googling this subject and it appears that vitamin D deficiency may not be a cause of parathyroid disease, but may merely be a symptom! Most cases are caused by a benign growth in the parathyroid glands. For some reason, my GP doesnt seem interested in investigating whether I have such a growth or not, but seems to think an increased dose of vitamin D will cure everything.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Google some more.
    The useful and cheerful info is always much further down the pages.
    The first stuff that comes up is always cancer and terminal illnesses.
    Or don't google.

6. TC7

TC7

My daughter has just been told she also has low Vitamin D levels it must be a new thing! I agree that you must insist on more investiagtions into your raised calcium levels because I had a friend who had the same and hers was a benign growth in one of the parathyroids. She had it removed as a day case and her levels returned to normal.