1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vital Documents

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by manuscript2007, Jul 18, 2011.

1. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new-ish HoD and will be starting the next academic year as a one person dept too. I feel like I am starting from scratch yet again after several staffing issues and we are expecting OFSTED next term apparently. This means I am starting to panic about the amount of work I will have to do over the summer.
    What documents do you consider to be essential in your department that OFSTED would want to see? I'm terrified of being the one dept that stops us getting an outstanding.
    I make no apologies for this shameless begging post here, cos I need your help!
    What do you think I should tackle first?
    Thanks in anticipation, even if it's just to post sympathy!

2. I have not done an ofsted for a while so my knowledge may be a little out of date. When my school had ofsted last they did not ask to see any of my paper work from me as a head of department. The SEF had been completed by someone else higher in management. I prepared by making sure my department handbook and SOW were all up to date and completed, although they never asked to see them. I am sure someone else here will have had a more intense ofsted experience and be able to be more detailed about paperwork. Good luck!

3. We had two visits last year as we were in special measures and they never asked to see a thing. Just watched a lesson or two. Hugely disappointing after hours of writing up stuff that was in my head just not down on paper....!