1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Visualising Prime Factors

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tandy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

2. Yes I like that
    Can you hit it on random and get the kids to state the number?
    I like the conveyer belt look too...

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

That's really nice, thanks Tandy. It took me a while to work out what was going on- but that says more about my current brainpower than about the animation!

4. I LOVE it, thanks Tandy

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Sara you can enter your own number.
    Just click where the number is displayed and enter your own.
    I like it too.
    Funnily enough I have seen this all over the place in the last couple of days, people have been bookmarking it and sharing it on Diigo.
    I rather like the Furbles too, also from Ptolemy.co.uk

6. Colleen_Young

To complete the information...
    The author is Alec McEachran. He has written about the application in his own blog.
    Note this entry includes the link to the March 2008 ATM journal.

7. Oh Casy - Furbles is available again! How wonderful - you star for sharing it.
    For anyone who's interested both these apps were written by Alec McEthran who was a real star for the maths teaching community who left teaching and is now in silicone valley working on facebook apps.
    I've always used furbles a lot but the were hard to share as they were an exe file for a while you had to pay for the updated app. Clearly not now[​IMG]
    You can do so much good stuff with Furbles. Happy days[​IMG]
    For anyone who hasn't used them, the first thing to notice is that they are an IWB app. Their eyes follow your pen/finger. For some reason the kids really take to them because of that. Then there are loads of mathematical things you can do with them.

8. Colleen_Young

That older version of Furbles has been available for a long time weebecka.
    I have given the author's name in my post above: Alec McEachran, as you can see from the journal article he has linked to in his blog.

9. ooops yes - I accidentally added a phonetic version.
    The intial version of Furbles was taken offline for quite a while in favour of a version you could purchase Casy. Perhaps it's been back a while, but I didn't know so thanks. I'm all happy. No more trying to email exe files to my students!

10. Colleen_Young

It has indeed been back for a long time - glad to have reunited you!
    If you like eyes following you around - try Voki!

11. Mea cupla! Feeling rather foolish now about not just clicking in the box. I'm still failing though to see the attractiveness of the software...

12. I have used this before (and actually like it!), but I didn't know about the box-clicking option, so I don't think it is obvious at all.
    It's just a nice visual way to show factors.
    Casy - thank you for providing 'technical support' on this!

13. Colleen_Young

Nazard, tis not obvious at all - it was a Twitter acquaintance of mine (don't mock, Twitter is OK if you are super selective) who spotted you can put your own number in!

14. Feeling slightly less stupid now. I'll give the software a go week after next, I've got some revision on primes coming up.