1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

visualiser

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rustybug, Feb 6, 2011.

1. What is the actual difference between a visualiser and a webcam on a stand? Apart from £475? Is there a webcam you can buy that has sharp enough focus to let you project a student's work on the board?
    I know this is the maths board, I will venture onto somewhere else if nobody here knows anything. But you usually do.

2. What is the actual difference between a visualiser and a webcam on a stand? Apart from £475? Is there a webcam you can buy that has sharp enough focus to let you project a student's work on the board?
    I know this is the maths board, I will venture onto somewhere else if nobody here knows anything. But you usually do.

3. Sharp enough focus

Appropriate direction (how easy would it be to make a web cam point down

Steadiness

Simple fact is that a visualiser is designed with a specific task in mind and a web cam isn't

4. If you're ordering a webcam on the internet, how do you know if it's going to have sharp enough focus?
    I was with a teacher on Saturday who insisted he had a £25 one that did the job perfick. But he couldn't clearly recall the name.

5. From a thread that appeared a couple of weeks back:
    I like it lots. Snags? Need lots of light and a way of propping it up. Worth a look.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It depends what you're going to use it for. I bought a job lot of genie visualisers and got a cracking deal ( wait til month end to get the best deals). But we use them for animation as well as showing pupil work, small items to whole class etc. Mr CG has the cheap TTS one and says it's fine, although someone on the primary forum complained that theirs tipped over a lot.

7. Thanks, I will investigate it. Though we have just had a survey from our IT dept asking if there is any hardware we would like. So I might be about to get one for free!

8. <strike>Nick</strike> borrow a chemistry stand [one with the clamps] from Science
    [​IMG]

9. DM

DM New commenter

Precise language please valed.
    When sidling up to the science technician, Nazard needs to be armed with the words "Retort stand, boss and clamp" as you press a used fiver in his or her hand.

10. DM

DM New commenter

as he presses" I mean

11. Great plan. If I can get them to throw in some magnesium and a box of matches too then I could solve the lighting issue as well!

12. My school has one of these http://www.easi-view.org.uk/ Its obviously not as good as a really expensive visualiser but for around 80 pound it is a better price. I've displayed work on the board and it automatically focusses so it is ideal for the job!